Vi at La Jolla Village is located in San Diego, California. The city offers several available nursing homes. This facility received a phenomenal overall grade of A+, grading out better than the average nursing home in San Diego by quite a bit. This is impressive since the city offers some quality nursing homes. We couldn't find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its scores are impeccable. Headlining this nursing home's remarkable report card is its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Vi at La Jolla Village
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A+. Very few nursing homes fared this well in this area. Our inspection scores are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an A+ short-term care grade, making it one of the few facilities to be given multiple A+ category grades. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Vi at La Jolla Village?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed was long-term care. This facility also was given an A+ long-term care grade, rendering it one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category scores. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are kept in good health. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 81.39535 percent of its patients. This is a bit less than we expected but still a decent percentage. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the last category, we awarded this facility a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. This wrapped up a very favorable report card. Our nursing score weighs several subcategories. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Vi at La Jolla Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric can be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression may imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 95.72% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 20 other nursing homes
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 1.24 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 10.78 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.34 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.32 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Fmc-La Jolla3.63 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center5.3 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego6.39 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North8.25 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis8.48 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego8.78 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis8.87 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Ucsd Dialysis Center11.11 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646