Vi at La Jolla Village is located in San Diego, California. The city offers several available nursing homes. This facility received a phenomenal overall grade of A+, grading out better than the average nursing home in San Diego by quite a bit. This is impressive since the city offers some quality nursing homes. We couldn't find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its scores are impeccable. Headlining this nursing home's remarkable report card is its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Vi at La Jolla Village
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in San Diego, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in California Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in San Diego, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A+. Very few nursing homes fared this well in this area. Our inspection scores are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an A+ short-term care grade, making it one of the few facilities to be given multiple A+ category grades. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Vi at La Jolla Village?
This nursing home also received an A+ nursing grade, making it one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. The nursing category assesses a handful of components, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth category we looked at is long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of A. This finished off a first-rate profile. Few facilities earned an A- or better in each of our categories. For residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 77.61194 percent of its residents. This is a few points below what we expected. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Vi at La Jolla Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Some believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Vi at La Jolla Village, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 1.24 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 10.78 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.34 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.32 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Fmc-La Jolla3.63 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center5.3 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego6.39 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North8.25 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis8.48 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego8.78 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis8.87 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Ucsd Dialysis Center11.11 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646