Residences at Vantage Point is a small non-profit nursing home located in Columbia, Maryland. With an overall grade of A+, this facility is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we found. In fact, this facility has the prestigious distinction of being one of the top 10 nursing homes in Maryland. If you scroll down, you will see this facility's category ratings, which are just as impressive as its overall score.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Residences at Vantage Point
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Columbia senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Nursing scores are mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Maryland in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning patients more often.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a score of A+ for its long-term care grade. Facilities that do well in this category tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Residences at Vantage Point?
Adding to an already impressive profile, this facility also received virtually flawless health inspections in recent years. As a result, we awarded it an A+ inspection grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. This place received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, this nursing home also was given an excellent short-term care rating, with an A. This completed an elite profile. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Residences at Vantage Point Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Residences at Vantage Point, 1.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents that developed pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Residences at Vantage Point, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Residences at Vantage Point, 10.71% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Residences at Vantage Point, 17.86% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Residences at Vantage Point, 34.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Residences at Vantage Point, 5.66% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Residences at Vantage Point, 100% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Residences at Vantage Point, 25.58% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Residences at Vantage Point, 41.26% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Residences at Vantage Point, 41.26% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Residences at Vantage Point, 82.79% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.83 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.83 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.24 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.85 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.25 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Davita - Howard County1.39 miles away5999 Harpers Farm Rd Ste E-110 Columbia Maryland 21044CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 997-4244
- Davita - Cedar Lane2.43 miles away6334 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 531-5390
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC3.85 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC5.03 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Kidney Home Center8.4 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618
- Davita - Catonsville North Dialysis8.72 miles away5401 Baltimore National Pike Baltimore Maryland 21229Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 869-4618
- Davita - Catonsville9.04 miles away1581 Sulphur Spring Rd Ste 112 Halethorpe Maryland 21227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 242-7766
- Kidney Care of Laurel9.13 miles away14631 Laurel Bowie Rd Ste 100 Laurel Maryland 20707CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 725-3559