Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital is a small nursing home in Escondido, California. Featuring an overall score of A, this is undoubtedly a world class facility. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the United States. This facility also received very consistent ratings in each of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1025 W. Second Avenue,
Escondido CA 92025
80.33% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
We also would like to point out that this nursing home has earned nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this area. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also performed well in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a score of A. Very few nursing homes received a better grade in this area. Facilities that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also fared very well in the area of short-term care, where it received a score of A-. Few facilities received a better grade in this category. Short-term care grades are often employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation To have highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. One of this nursing home's strength is that it offers more hours of physical therapy per week to its residents. The last measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community. We found that this facility was above average with 53.7 percent of its residents returning home.
The fourth area we assessed is nursing, where this facility was awarded a grade of B+. This finished off a first-rate profile. Very few nursing homes earned a B+ or higher in every single category. In calculating a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the amount of time nurses are with residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 3.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these metrics as reliable indicators of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 4.32% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 96.21% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Escondido, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Escondido, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.35 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.14 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.53 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 17.26 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 18.87 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis1 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center1.9 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-Rancho7.03 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis10.61 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Fmc-Buena Creek10.8 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North11.99 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis12.08 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Davita Oceanside Dialysis13.08 miles away4182 Oceanside Blvd Oceanside California 92056Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 941-8393