Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital is one of seven facilities located in Escondido, California. It looks like this is a great facility. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a strong grade. We were pleased to learn that this matched the average grade of nursing homes in Escondido, which is one of the better cities in California to find a nursing home. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Escondido senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility received even higher grades in our short-term care category. In fact, it earned one of our best grades in that area with an A. Short-term care ratings are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our inspection grades are based on several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. There are several factors included in this grade. Many of the factors are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next category, this facility received a respectable long-term care grade. Even though this isn't nearly as strong as many of its other grades, this is really not the end of the world. With our long-term care rating, we focus more on the sheer volume of services provided by a facility, as well as some quality data points. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 11.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients which had falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 0.66% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 19.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.38% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing signs of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 100% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.96% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 12.43% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 12.43% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 27.12% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Valle Vista Convalescent Hospital, 91.1% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Escondido, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Escondido, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.32 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.35 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.14 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.53 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 17.26 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 18.87 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis1 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center1.9 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-Rancho7.03 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis10.61 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Fmc-Buena Creek10.8 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North11.99 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis12.08 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Davita Oceanside Dialysis13.08 miles away4182 Oceanside Blvd Oceanside California 92056Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 941-8393