Arbors Valencia is a senior living facility located in Valencia, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 7,738 people. After receiving an A overall grade, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the top 100 nursing homes in Pennsylvania. This is an impressive accomplishment in a state with a long list of elite nursing homes. Based on our assessment, this place is really as good as it gets. If you look further down this page, you will see this nursing home's category grades, which look to be just as strong as its overall rating.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2020 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Arbors Valencia has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
In addition to faring well overall, this nursing home received nearly flawless government inspections. Consequently, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A+. Inspection grades weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A. Not many facilities performed better in this area. In computing our short-term care scores, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is considered to be a fair measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Arbors Valencia?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. Our nursing grade is based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of turning a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category, this nursing home also was awarded a first-rate long-term care grade, with an A-. This completed a first-rate report card. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 90.10989 percent of its residents. This is slightly lower than we were hoping for. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arbors Valencia Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arbors Valencia, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arbors Valencia, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arbors Valencia, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arbors Valencia, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who are given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arbors Valencia, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arbors Valencia, 3.23% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arbors Valencia, 88.5% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arbors Valencia, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arbors Valencia, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arbors Valencia, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Arbors Valencia, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Arbors Valencia, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Heritage Valley SewickleyAcute Care Hospitals 13.53 miles away720 Blackburn Road Sewickley Pennsylvania 15143Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 741-7000
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.01 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 14.19 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.21 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.3 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.49 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 16.54 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Dci of Seven Fields3.48 miles away201 Highpointe Drive Mars Pennsylvania 16046Dialysis Stations: 19 (724) 779-3930
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cranberry5.42 miles away5 Saint Francis Way Cranberry Twp Pennsylvania 16066Dialysis Stations: 7 (724) 779-9770
- Dci of North Hills9.87 miles away3412 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (412) 635-0211
- Davita Avonworth Dialysis10.77 miles away259 Mt. Nebo Pointe Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Dialysis Stations: 9 (412) 364-3238
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shaler11.9 miles away880 Butler Street Shaler Plaza Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15223Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 782-3790
- Liberty Dialysis - Baden12.69 miles away1682 State Street Baden Pennsylvania 15005CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (724) 869-2830
- Butler County Dialysis Center13.07 miles away111 Woody Drive Butler Pennsylvania 16001CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (724) 431-2241
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village13.14 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422