Upstate University Hosp at Community General T C U is one of seven facilities located in Syracuse, New York. Featuring an overall score of A+, this nursing home is undoubtedly an elite facility. In addition, this facility is also located in a hospital, which can often mean the nursing home offers more extensive healthcare services. This also ended up being a very consistent facility with consistently strong ratings in each of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Upstate University Hosp at Community General T C U
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Syracuse, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Syracuse, New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Syracuse, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this nursing home excelled at short-term care. We awarded them an A+ in this area. Short-term care scores are meaningful for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 7.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This nursing home also received a virtually flawless inspection. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with an A+. This was one of the few facilities to receive multiple A+ category grades. Our inspection grades are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Upstate University Hosp at Community General T C U?
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Our nursing rating features a host of factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home also performed well in our long-term care category. We awarded it a grade of A for this category. This rounded out a straight A report card. For prospective patients looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were not able to locate this facility's vaccination rates. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Upstate University Hosp at Community General T C U Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Upstate University Hosp at Community General T C U, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Upstate University Hosp at Community General T C U, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Syracuse, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Syracuse, New York has 6 other nursing homes
- Crouse HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away736 Irving Avenue Syracuse New York 13210Voluntary non-profit - Private(315) 470-7449
- University Hospital S U N Y Health Science CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.85 miles away750 East Adams Street Syracuse New York 13210Government - State(315) 473-4240
- St Joseph's Hospital Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away301 Prospect Avenue Syracuse New York 13203Voluntary non-profit - Private(315) 448-5111
- University Dialysis Center3.31 miles away1127 East Genesee Street Syracuse New York 13210CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (315) 473-5100
- Davita Central New York Dialysis Center3.36 miles away910 Erie Boulevard East Syracuse New York 13210CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (315) 410-8040
- St. Joseph's - Regional3.91 miles away973 James Street Syracuse New York 13203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (315) 703-6700
- St. Joseph's - Camillus5.05 miles away5101 West Genesee Street Camillus New York 13031Dialysis Stations: 11 (315) 488-2979
- Liverpool Dialysis Center, LLC5.89 miles away1304 Buckley Road Syracuse New York 13212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (315) 466-2402
- St. Joseph's - Northeast7.9 miles away4105 Medical Center Drive Fayetteville New York 13066Dialysis Stations: 12 (315) 329-2580
- St. Joseph's Dialysis - Seneca11.69 miles away8302 Provo Drive Liverpool New York 13090Dialysis Stations: 12 (315) 652-8474