University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is one of a list of 26 facilities in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This city has quite a few more facilities compared to most cities in the nation. Our grading system was not favorable to this facility, as it received an overall score of F. In our grading scheme, this is one of the five worst rated nursing homes in Fort Wayne. With more than 20 other nursing homes in the city, you should be able to do better. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. Our inspection grades are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This facility received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving a a very poor score in our long-term care area. It received an F in this category. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category likely don't provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. Unfortunately, this facility vaccinated just 75.6654 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This facility averaged only 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is a very poor score. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to score a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Based on its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 12.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 91.48% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In University Park Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.52 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.98 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis1.65 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis3.76 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis3.91 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Fort Wayne West5.49 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Fort Wayne South5.93 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Appleseed6.44 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis7.53 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC7.58 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582