Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center is in Shawnee, Kansas. The city has a total of 69,474 people. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a well below average facility. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Shawnee. The city has just three other nursing homes. The only positive thing we can really say about this nursing home is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. Inspection grades account for several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid nursing homes with too many deficiencies flagged. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies an immediate risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's next most respectable category was short-term care. However, with a grade of D in this area, it still fared relatively badly. Our short-term care ratings are important for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing. This includes a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we were not stunned to discover that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the figures we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected here. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.8 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center?
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in determining our score in this area. This facility provided only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, we gave this facility a grade of D for the area of long-term care. This is the facility's weakest category score. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. Once we assessed the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 98.3871 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 7.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 5.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 17.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 22.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 5.98% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 91.04% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 16.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 19.61% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 19.61 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 10.57 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Merriam Gardens Healthcare & Rehab Center, 74.57% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Shawnee, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Shawnee, Kansas has 3 other nursing homes
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 1.56 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.58 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Concerto Kansas, LLC2.83 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Johnson County Dialysis2.92 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Lenexa Dialysis2.96 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood4.96 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Fkc - Lenexa5.08 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Davita Mission Dialysis5.6 miles away2852 W 47th Ave Kansas City Kansas 66103Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 403-1843
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis6.24 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Davita - Westport Renal Center6.37 miles away3947 Broadway Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 531-1181