The Suites Rio Vista is a large facility located in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. This isn't a high quality nursing home with a D overall grade. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Rio Rancho. This place has very little going for it. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
The Suites Rio Vista
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2410 19th Street, Se,
Rio Rancho NM 87124
63.6% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its relatively favorable short-term care rating. We awarded it a respectable grade of B+ in this area, which was much better than its overall score. In computing our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This grade is generally a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. It does not look like this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that returned home from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this facility's higher category scores came in the category of long-term care. This proved to be its second most respectable category. In that category, we awarded this facility a C. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Suites Rio Vista?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a resident more often.
Turning the last category of inspections, this ended up being this nursing home's weakest link. Inspection scores are based on a nursing home's recent government inspections. We gave this facility a D in this category, which is not a very good grade. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. Generally, you should be most cautious when considering a facility that has severe deficiencies on its inspection reports. This facility had 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, we need to point out that this facility was assessed large government fines in recent years exceeding $50,000. This often indicates that government inspectors became fed up after several years of failed health inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Suites Rio Vista Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Suites Rio Vista, 8.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Suites Rio Vista, 3.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Suites Rio Vista, 1.47% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Suites Rio Vista, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Suites Rio Vista, 13.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Suites Rio Vista, 3.19% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Suites Rio Vista, 88.36% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Suites Rio Vista, 16.72% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Suites Rio Vista, 18.98% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In The Suites Rio Vista, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Suites Rio Vista, 18.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Suites Rio Vista, 15.18 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Suites Rio Vista, 65.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Unm Sandoval Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away3001 Broadmoor Blvd Ne Rio Rancho New Mexico 87144Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 994-7402
- Lovelace Westside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away10501 Golf Course Road Nw Albuquerque New Mexico 87114Proprietary(505) 727-2001
- Lovelace Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.49 miles away4701 Montgomery Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Government - State(505) 727-7805
- Lovelace Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.99 miles away601 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Ave Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 727-8000
- Unm HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12 miles away2211 Lomas Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Other(505) 272-2111
- Presbyterian HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.24 miles away1100 Central Avenue Se Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 724-8386
- Rio Rancho Dialysis (Dci)1.53 miles away4045 Jackie Rd Se Rio Rancho New Mexico 87124Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 896-8861
- Rio Rancho Dialysis (Fmc)2.26 miles away1760 Grande Blvd Ste 100 Rio Rancho New Mexico 87124CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (505) 892-1880
- Liberty Rio Rancho (Fmc)4.18 miles away5751 Mcmahon Blvd Nw Albuquerque New Mexico 87114Dialysis Stations: 19 (505) 899-1019
- North Rio Rancho Dialysis (Fmc)5.97 miles away7555 Enchanted Hills Blvd Ste 102 Rio Rancho New Mexico 87144Dialysis Stations: 29 (505) 771-0316
- Liberty Albuquerque Dialysis (Fmc)7.24 miles away3810 Commons Ave Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Dialysis Stations: 19 (505) 345-1224
- Del Norte Dialysis8.97 miles away5201 San Mateo Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Dialysis Stations: 17 (505) 884-4820
- North Albuquerque Dialysis Center (Fmc)9.06 miles away5200 San Mateo Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 883-7599
- Albuquerque Dialysis (Dci)11.22 miles away1500 Indian School Rd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (505) 724-1500