Located in Chattanooga, Tennessee, The Stratford House is one of six facilities in the area. Featuring an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. Based on our assessment, this facility probably isn't a good fit for anyone. We were surprisingly able to give this nursing home some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
The Stratford House
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was terrible, it actually fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B for that area, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection scores weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid places with a list of severe deficiencies flagged. This facility was hit with 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its long-term care rating, which turns out to be one of its more respectable category grades. Nursing homes that don't score well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 92.17391 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is slightly lower than we anticipated but still a decent percentage. Surprisingly, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about The Stratford House?
Short-term Care Quality
Our next category we looked at is short-term care, where this facility received an F. Short-term care scores are vital for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Based on its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Honestly, this was what we expected to find. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
The next area we rated is nursing. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is an abysmal score. Our nursing score is mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these data points to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Stratford House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Stratford House, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Stratford House, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that had falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Stratford House, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Stratford House, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Stratford House, 29.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Stratford House, 9.05% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Stratford House, 89.05% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Stratford House, 16.44% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Stratford House, 24.2% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In The Stratford House, 1.27 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Stratford House, 24.2 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Chattanooga, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Chattanooga, Tennessee has 5 other nursing homes
- Memorial Healthcare System, IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away2525 Desales Ave Chattanooga Tennessee 37404Voluntary non-profit - Church(423) 495-2525
- Parkridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away2333 Mccallie Ave Chattanooga Tennessee 37404Proprietary(423) 894-4220
- Erlanger Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away975 E 3rd St Chattanooga Tennessee 37403Government - Hospital District or Authority(423) 778-7000
- Chi Memorial Hospital- GeorgiaAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away100 Gross Crescent Circle Fort Oglethorpe Georgia 30742Proprietary(770) 874-5400
- Tennova Healthcare-ClevelandAcute Care Hospitals 16.85 miles away2305 Chambliss Ave Nw Cleveland Tennessee 37311Proprietary(423) 339-4132
- Hamilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.36 miles away1200 Memorial Drive Dalton Georgia 30720Voluntary non-profit - Private(706) 272-6105
- Kidney Center of Ooltewah-Collegedale, LLC3.83 miles away5483 Little Debbie Pkwy Ooltewah Tennessee 37363Dialysis Stations: 28 (423) 541-3450
- Chattanooga Kidney Center4.53 miles away2118 Stein Drive Chattanooga Tennessee 37421CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (423) 648-4900
- Kidney Center of Hwy 585.72 miles away4803 Hwy 58 Suite B Chattanooga Tennessee 37416CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (423) 468-3178
- Dci East Ridge7.36 miles away6104 North Mack Smith Rd. Chattanooga Tennessee 37412Dialysis Stations: 24 (423) 894-8133
- Kidney Center of Missionary Ridge, LLC7.67 miles away3810 Brainerd Road Chattanooga Tennessee 37411CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 71 (423) 486-9510
- Kidney Center of North Georgia, LLC8.29 miles away102 Erlanger South Drive Ringgold Georgia 30736CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (706) 820-6605
- Dci Lyerly8.92 miles away2300 East Third Street Suite A Chattanooga Tennessee 37404Dialysis Stations: 26 (423) 698-6422
- Dci Hixson9.46 miles away1816 Hamill Rd. Hixson Tennessee 37343Dialysis Stations: 12 (423) 875-0020