The Riverview is a large nursing home in Saint Louis, Missouri. This is a well below average nursing home, with an overall grade of D. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Saint Louis, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall grade, it earned a respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that area with a B-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's more respectable category scores was in the area of short-term care. This wound up being its second most favorable category. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. Short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last item we considered in this area is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about The Riverview?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's next best category is long-term care. Nevertheless, with a grade of D in this category, it still performed relatively badly. For prospective residents in need of a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
The next category we assessed is nursing, turned out to be this nursing home's worst category. We awarded this facility a grade of D in this area. Our nursing score is mostly tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This place averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Riverview Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Riverview, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Riverview, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Riverview, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Riverview, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Riverview, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Riverview, 4.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Riverview, 88.53% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Riverview, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Riverview, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In The Riverview, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Riverview, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 8.25 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.91 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- South City Dialysis1.86 miles away3740 S Jefferson Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63118Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 664-6687
- Davita - Sauget Dialysis Center3.86 miles away2061 Goose Lake Road East Saint Louis Illinois 62206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 332-7801
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis4.12 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- Rai Care Center -Hampton4.18 miles away2635 Hampton Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 646-1717
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand4.25 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Shrewsbury Dialysis4.37 miles away7303 Watson Road Suite 7 Saint Louis Missouri 63119CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 832-2461
- Fmc - Chouteau4.51 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- St. Louis Dialysis Center4.76 miles away2610 Clark Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 534-0909