The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe is an average-sized facility located in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. Featuring an overall rating of B-, this is a respectable nursing home. Based on the data we reviewed, there are definitely much worse places out there. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its strong short-term care score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Grosse Pointe, Michigan Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home really excelled in the category of short-term care, where it received an A. Few facilities performed better in this category. If it was not for this grade, this facility's overall score would have been much lower. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This facility's second best category grade came in the area of government inspections. In that area, we gave this facility a B. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor dings aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe?
We also awarded this facility a favorable grade in nursing. This facility earned a grade of B in this category, which is one of our better grades. We analyzed the qualifications of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of hours those nurses worked with patients, in determining our grade in this category. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving a patient even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is long-term care, which turned out to be this facility's worst category. It received an abysmal F for this category, which is clearly a major disappointment. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 96.428566 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is better than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this facility also keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term care patients that suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who experienced falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric could also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 3.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 91.43% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.93 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 9.38 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Mclaren MacombAcute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away1000 Harrington St Mount Clemens Michigan 48043Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 493-8000
- Henry Ford Macomb HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.54 miles away15855 Nineteen Mile Rd Clinton Township Michigan 48038Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 263-2300
- Fmc Dialysis - East Detroit0.86 miles away22151 Moross Rd pb1, Suite G-05 Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 640-4972
- Grosse Pointe Dialysis of Davita1.43 miles away18000 E Warren Ave Detroit Michigan 48224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 343-5371
- Davita - Cadieux2 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295
- Harper Woods Dialysis of Davita2.33 miles away19265 Vernier Rd Harper Woods Michigan 48225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 640-0271
- Greenfield Hs - Eastpointe2.95 miles away21400 Kelly Rd Eastpointe Michigan 48021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 779-8779
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.9 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Nephrology Center of Eastpointe LLC4.17 miles away24931 Kelly Rd Eastpointe Michigan 48021Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 771-0675
- Davita Roseville Commons Dialysis4.46 miles away18001 E 10 Mile Rd Ste B Roseville Michigan 48066Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 771-2286