The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe is the only facility we found in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some decent scores. You can certainly do worse than this place. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next section.
The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
900 Cook Road,
Grosse Pointe MI 48236
77.2% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home an A- for our short-term care grade. This is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Our short-term care scores are believed to be most important for patients requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home boosted its score in this category by offering more physical therapy hours to its residents than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of facilities in this area with 68.1 percent of its patients returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most facilities.
This facility also performed well in inspections. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that area with an B+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. There are a host of datapoints included in this category. Many of the datapoints are tied to staffing levels. This facility offers extremely high levels of nursing care, averaging 4.5 hours per resident per day. This is well above average. Lastly, our nursing grade also includes some applicable quality measures. Even though this place excelled in terms of quantity of nursing hours, it lagged behind in certain metrics that emphasized quality. This nursing home's nursing rating was pulled down by poor data related to minimizing pressure ulcers. We found that 16.7 percent of this nursing home's residents were suffering from pressure ulcers. Since many pressure ulcers could be prevented with good nursing protocols, we reduce a facility's nursing score when we find this kind of prevalence.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next category, this facility didn't perform very well. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this was this nursing home's worst category. For residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to offering solid levels of nursing care, this nursing home gave the pneumonia vaccine to 97.08738 percent of its residents. These marks are notably more respectable than a few of its other marks in this category. Surprisingly, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 1.39 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 13.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 18.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 3.45% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 91.71% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 12.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 19.59% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 19.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 10.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Rivers Health & Rehab Center of Grosse Pointe, 76.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.93 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 9.38 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Mclaren MacombAcute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away1000 Harrington St Mount Clemens Michigan 48043Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 493-8000
- Henry Ford Macomb HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.54 miles away15855 Nineteen Mile Rd Clinton Township Michigan 48038Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 263-2300
- Fmc Dialysis - East Detroit0.86 miles away22151 Moross Rd pb1, Suite G-05 Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 640-4972
- Grosse Pointe Dialysis of Davita1.43 miles away18000 E Warren Ave Detroit Michigan 48224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 343-5371
- Davita - Cadieux2 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295
- Harper Woods Dialysis of Davita2.33 miles away19265 Vernier Rd Harper Woods Michigan 48225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 640-0271
- Greenfield Hs - Eastpointe2.95 miles away21400 Kelly Rd Eastpointe Michigan 48021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 779-8779
- Great Lakes Dialysis, LLC3.9 miles away14614 Kercheval St Detroit Michigan 48215Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 308-4200
- Nephrology Center of Eastpointe LLC4.17 miles away24931 Kelly Rd Eastpointe Michigan 48021Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 771-0675
- Davita Roseville Commons Dialysis4.46 miles away18001 E 10 Mile Rd Ste B Roseville Michigan 48066Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 771-2286