The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood is in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, a city with a population of 23,969 people. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this is a very good nursing home. Based on our assessment, you could do much worse than this nursing home. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive profile was its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
- Radiation Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Wheat Ridge, Colorado Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Wheat Ridge, Colorado Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Wheat Ridge, Colorado Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, this place really excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A. Few facilities performed better in that area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite minor. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This facility received high grades in the area of nursing as well. In fact, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Our nursing rating analyzes a handful of datapoints, however, the main one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it was given a grade of B+. It outpaced most nursing homes in this category. For patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 69.53125 percent of its residents. This is a few points below what we expected but still a decent percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a decent grade of B-. This actually is this facility's least impressive category. In calculating our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is typically a solid assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents that have pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 3.81% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 84.99% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to residents' well-being.
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 1.08 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 12.03 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Rehabilitation Center at Sandalwood, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Lutheran Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.42 miles away8300 W 38th Ave Wheat Ridge Colorado 80033Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 425-4500
- Denver Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.82 miles away777 Bannock St Denver Colorado 80204Government - State(303) 602-4930
- Centura Health-St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.97 miles away11600 West 2nd Plc Denver Colorado 80228Voluntary non-profit - Church(720) 321-0000
- Orthocolorado Hospital at St Anthony Med CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away11650 West 2nd Place Denver Colorado 80228Proprietary(720) 321-5000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 6.7 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.35 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- Kidney Center of Wheat Ridge (Ara)0.59 miles away6920 W 38th Ave Wheat Ridge Colorado 80033Dialysis Stations: 16 (303) 463-3041
- Kidney Center of Arvada (Ara)1.76 miles away5265 Vance St Arvada Colorado 80002CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (303) 403-1127
- Lakewood Dialysis (Dva)1.78 miles away1750 Pierce St Denver Colorado 80214CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (303) 238-6111
- Mile High Pd (Dva)1.78 miles away1750 Pierce St Ste A Denver Colorado 80214Dialysis Stations: 3 (303) 232-0939
- Kidney Center of Lakewood (Ara)4.11 miles away6166 W Alameda Ave Denver Colorado 80226Dialysis Stations: 21 (303) 922-6371
- Pavilion Dialysis (Fmc)4.7 miles away723 Delaware St #m105 Denver Colorado 80204CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 623-2107
- Denver Dialysis (Dva)4.83 miles away2900 Downing St Ste C Denver Colorado 80205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (303) 292-0303
- Lakewood Crossing Dialysis (Dva)5.08 miles away1057 S Wadsworth Blvd Ste 100 Denver Colorado 80226Dialysis Stations: 22 (720) 962-6199