The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center is a very-large nursing home located in Bronx, New York. We gave this facility a C overall, which isn't a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Bronx, which is a B-. You can certainly do worse than this facility. The best part of this facility's report card is its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Bronx senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this place also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A+. Few facilities performed better in this category. Inspection scores are tied to several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we still had a generally positive view of this nursing home's recent inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its next most favorable category grade in the area of long-term care. We awarded this facility a B- in this area, which is a decent grade. In forming these long-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 93.69863 percent of its residents. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center?
The next area we looked at was nursing, where we gave this facility an F. This was definitely one of this facility's major weaknesses. The nursing score includes several subcategories, but the paramount one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst category was short-term care, which is the last area we assessed. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category. Even with some solid grades in other areas, this grade is nevertheless of a concern so we wanted to make sure you are aware. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we weren't surprised to discover that this place is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the data we looked at. Finally, we considered the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 14.55% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 0.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which sustained falls which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 0.88% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 3.17% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 5.09% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 4.16% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 94.36% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 19.76% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 15.37% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 15.37% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 10.38% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 82.94% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 43 other nursing homes
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.14 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.3 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center0.02 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.8 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center1.21 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center1.33 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center1.39 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center1.39 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility1.61 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Davita Allerton Dialysis1.82 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285