The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Bronx, New York with a total of 1,382,480 people. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Bronx, which is a B-. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
100 West Kingsbridge Road,
Bronx NY 10468
81.34% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this nursing home really outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our highest scores in this area with an A+. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we had positive view of this facility's recent inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to note that this facility was awarded positive long-term care marks this year. We awarded them one of our more favorable grades in this area, with a B. This proved to be the nursing home's second best score. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 97.15302 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. This nursing home was also able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Although it had 2.12 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was better than the majority of nursing homes due to it having more complicated patients.
Does this page answer your questions about The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility received an F for its short-term care grade. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, we discovered that this place provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 34.1 percent of its patients returning home.
Turning to the last area, this nursing home really didn't perform very well. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in nursing, this is its poorest grade. Our nursing score assesses the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided just 2.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. This facility also had abysmal scores in some of the quality-based measures to pair with its low nursing hours. We looked at the percentage of patients suffering pressure ulcers and we were quite disappointed. This facility was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this area. This is likely a bad sign when you consider that so many bed sores are preventable with better nursing care. This statistic helped pull down this facility's nursing grade significantly.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained falls leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 13.02% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Some argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 92.45% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Plaza Rehab and Nursing Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 42 other nursing homes
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.14 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.3 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center0.02 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.8 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center1.21 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center1.33 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center1.39 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center1.39 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility1.61 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Davita Allerton Dialysis1.82 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285