The Orchard - Post Acute Care is one of seven available facilities located in Whittier, California. We gave this facility a B- overall, which is a decent grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Whittier, which is a B. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this place's profile was is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
The Orchard - Post Acute Care
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's overall grade was propped up by the fact that it has received favorable inspections in recent years. We gave them a strong score in that area, with a B+. This is a much better score than the facility's overall score. Inspection ratings are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. Nursing grades are mostly associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about The Orchard - Post Acute Care?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to note that this nursing home was given strong long-term care marks in this assessment. We awarded them one of our higher scores in that category, with a grade of B. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death illness for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is short-term care. This facility was awarded a grade of C in this category. With our short-term care rating, we seek to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Orchard - Post Acute Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Orchard - Post Acute Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Whittier, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Whittier, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.85 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.16 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.77 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center0.16 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841
- Davita-Santa Fe Springs Dialysis1.36 miles away11147 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 695-0827
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis1.92 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281
- Davita-Whittier Dialysis Center3.33 miles away10055 Whittwood Drive, Suite A Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (562) 947-1808
- Davita-Norwalk Dialysis Center3.63 miles away12375 E. Imperial Highway Norwalk California 90650CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (562) 929-7430
- Whittier Kidney Dialysis Center3.85 miles away16417 E. Whittier Blvd. Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (562) 947-8999
- Davita-Bluff Rd Dialysis3.95 miles away100 W. Washington Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-2984
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center4.16 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436