The Medical Resort at Bay Area is located in Pasadena, Texas. The city has a population of 145,975 people. This facility was given an extremely poor overall score based on the data we looked at. In our view, you would be better off to steer clear of this place. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
The Medical Resort at Bay Area
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
Surprisingly, we awarded this facility a B- for its short-term care rating, which isn't a bad grade. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about The Medical Resort at Bay Area?
Long-term Care Quality
Our third category we graded was long-term care, where this nursing home received an F. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. We were a bit concerned this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to only 72.13115 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.09 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
The last area we assessed is nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Our nursing rating looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This place provided only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Medical Resort at Bay Area Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percent of long-term patients which have suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 4.66% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 94.73% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Medical Resort at Bay Area, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Pasadena, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pasadena, Texas has 6 other nursing homes
- St Luke's Patients Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.2 miles away4600 East Sam Houston Parkway South Pasadena Texas 77505Physician(281) 487-0700
- Surgery Specialty Hospitals of America Se HoustonAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away4301 B Vista Pasadena Texas 77504Proprietary(713) 378-3000
- Hca Houston Healthcare SoutheastAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away4000 Spencer Hwy Pasadena Texas 77504Proprietary(713) 359-1000
- Hca Houston Healthcare Clear LakeAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away500 Medical Center Blvd Webster Texas 77598Proprietary(281) 332-2511
- Houston Physicians' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away333 N Texas Avenue Webster Texas 77598Physician(281) 335-1700
- Houston Methodist St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away18300 St John Drive Houston Texas 77058Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 333-5503
- Ad Hospital East, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away12950 East Freeway, Suite 100 Houston Texas 77015Proprietary(713) 330-3897
- Harris Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.93 miles away2525 Holly Hall Houston Texas 77054Government - Hospital District or Authority(713) 566-6417
- Bayshore Dialysis Center0.14 miles away4901 E Sam Houston Pkwy S Pasadena Texas 77505CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (281) 487-0586
- Sng Pasadena Dialysis Center Lp0.19 miles away5040 Crenshaw Road Suite 200 Pasadena Texas 77505Dialysis Stations: 12 (832) 703-0450
- Lifealysis Kidney Care, LLC1.14 miles away4300 Fairmont Pkwy Ste 100 Pasadena Texas 77504Dialysis Stations: 19 (832) 617-8816
- Space City Dialysis Pasadena - Dsi, LLC2.84 miles away3402 Burke Road Suite 100 Pasadena Texas 77504Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 425-0428
- Pine Park Dialysis2.97 miles away3333 Bayshore Blvd Pasadena Texas 77504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 943-1463
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas Inc.3.16 miles away4625 Center St Deer Park Texas 77536Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 542-6856
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.4.09 miles away1210 Southmore Ave Pasadena Texas 77502Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 475-6617
- Fresenius Medical Care Beamer4.74 miles away12727 Beamer Road Houston Texas 77089Dialysis Stations: 21 (281) 922-9930