The Mather is one of seven available nursing homes located in Evanston, Illinois. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the most elite nursing homes we assessed. In fact, it received our absolute highest grade. We were not surprised to discover that this turned out to be quite a bit better than many of the facilities in Evanston. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category scores, which are equally impressive. You really can't do any better than a straight A report card.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Evanston, Illinois Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Evanston, Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Evanston, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
In addition, this facility received high marks in the area of nursing. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about The Mather?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was short-term care. Contributing to its elite profile, this facility also excelled in that category. In fact, it received a grade of of A in that category. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this category is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
In our final category, this facility also received a very strong long-term care rating, with an A-. This finished off an elite report card. Facilities that excel in this category typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 98.7013 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Mather Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Mather, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Mather, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Mather, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Mather, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Mather, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Mather, 30.45% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Mather, 87.4% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Mather, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Mather, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In The Mather, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Mather, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Mather, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Mather, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Evanston, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Evanston, Illinois has 6 other nursing homes
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 1.42 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.55 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 5.34 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.65 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center1.24 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Fmc - Rogers Park1.89 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston2.47 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.98 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis4.42 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis5.24 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Fmc - Uptown5.55 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis5.71 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105