The Kings Daughters and Sons is an average-sized non-profit facility located in Memphis, Tennessee. We gave this nursing home an overall rating of B+ which is a quality overall score. It outpaced most of the nursing homes in Memphis by a wide margin. Based on our analysis, this facility looks like a good fit for most people. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
The Kings Daughters and Sons
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
3568 Appling Road,
Memphis TN 38133
76.38% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home also earned an A+ inspection score. This score is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. An A+ in this category is one of the highest complements we can offer a facility. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given impressive grades in the category of long-term care as well. As a result, it received one of our most elite grades in that area with a area of A. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. After looking at the significant amount of nursing care provided by this facility, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. This combination proved to be effective as this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.99 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about The Kings Daughters and Sons?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. Nursing ratings are based largely on quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home offers extremely high levels of nursing care, averaging 5 hours per resident per day. This is well above average. Finally, our nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed better than average in this metric.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, we gave this facility a grade of D in our short-term care category. This is the facility's least impressive category score. However, we would not over-emphasize a single weak category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that it performed better in this area, with 50.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Kings Daughters and Sons Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 9.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 3.51% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who had falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 3.12% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 15.81% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 29.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 8.77% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 89.84% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 16.62% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 26.14% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to patients well-being.
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 26.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 11.25 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Kings Daughters and Sons, 72.83% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Memphis, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Memphis, Tennessee has 16 other nursing homes
- Saint Francis Bartlett Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.12 miles away2986 Kate Bond Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Proprietary(901) 820-7050
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.1 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.87 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 12.89 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 13.4 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 13.81 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.86 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- Fmc Bartlett1.07 miles away3348 N Germantown Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 379-2447
- u.s. Renal Care Galleria Dialysis2.19 miles away8592 Ricky Bell Cove Memphis Tennessee 38133Dialysis Stations: 20 (901) 380-5755
- Memphis Galleria Hometraining3.85 miles away9045 Hwy 64 Suite 102 Arlington Tennessee 38002Dialysis Stations: 5 (901) 213-2955
- Galleria Dialysis3.85 miles away9160 Hwy 64 East Suite 10 Arlington Tennessee 38002Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 380-1511
- Davita Singelton Farms Dialysis5.04 miles away4031 Austin Peay Hwy Memphis Tennessee 38128Dialysis Stations: 17 (901) 379-0491
- Isd Bartlett LLC5.06 miles away2920 Covington Pike Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (901) 248-6020
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc5.17 miles away5020 English Towne Dr Memphis Tennessee 38128Dialysis Stations: 19 (901) 266-1551
- Fmc North Memphis5.18 miles away3850 Austin Peay Hwy Suite 10 Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (901) 388-1749