Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne is a nursing home in Fort Wayne, Indiana which has a total of 305,409 people. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is among the top grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires superb marks across the board. You flat out can't do any better than this facility. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its nursing rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
5250 Heritage Parkway,
Fort Wayne IN 46835
59.4% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Indiana Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Indiana Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Fort Wayne, Indiana Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. There are quite a few subcategories included in this area. Many of the datapoints relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Adding to an already impressive profile, this facility also received virtually flawless health inspections in recent years. As a result, we awarded it an A+ inspection grade. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne?
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was given a dominant score of A in our short-term care category. In calculating these short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last area, we gave this facility a D for the area of long-term care. This is the facility's weakest category grade. However, you shouldn't focus exclusively a single poor area. Our long-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's volume of nursing care. This includes a broad scope of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this nursing home also keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients which have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents who had a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 14.48% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 91.03% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heritage Pointe of Fort Wayne, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 11 other nursing homes
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.51 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.03 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis2.22 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis3.72 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis3.82 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis7.53 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Davita - Fort Wayne South9.04 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Fort Wayne West9.2 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Appleseed10.15 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC11.01 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582