The Heritage of Fort Wayne is a nursing home in Fort Wayne, Indiana which has a total of 305,409 people. This facility is among the highest-rated facilities we looked at. Being awarded an A+ in our rating system requires excellent marks across the board. You simply can not do much better than this place. This also turned out to be a very consistent facility with consistent grades in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
The Heritage of Fort Wayne
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Indiana Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Indiana Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Fort Wayne, Indiana Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ for nursing. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning patients more often.
This facility also received a nearly flawless government inspection. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that area with an A+. This was one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category generally have few severe deficiencies. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about The Heritage of Fort Wayne?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning our third area, we gave this nursing home a score of A for our long-term care rating. This is a first-rate grade. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this facility also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that area. This completed a straight A report card. Short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Heritage of Fort Wayne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which had a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 12.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 91.48% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Heritage of Fort Wayne, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.51 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.03 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis2.22 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis3.72 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis3.82 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis7.53 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Davita - Fort Wayne South9.04 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Fort Wayne West9.2 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Appleseed10.15 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC11.01 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582