The Grove of Evanston L & R is in Evanston, Illinois. This city has a total of 79,009 people. With an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a very poor facility. Evanston received a more impressive city grade of B, so there are far better options in the city worth looking at. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
The Grove of Evanston L & R
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: The Grove of Evanston L & R has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We believe that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Another red flag is that CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we gave this nursing home a C for its short-term care grade, which really isn't a bad grade. Our short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about The Grove of Evanston L & R?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home didn't perform very well in this category either. With a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this is just about as as uninspiring as it gets. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care may not provide the type of consistent 24/7 care that some other nursing homes provide. After we finished assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated only 82.333336 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Grove of Evanston L & R Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients which sustained falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term residents which had urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 30.45% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 87.4% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Grove of Evanston L & R, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Evanston, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Evanston, Illinois has 6 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.33 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 2.68 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.84 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 4.39 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Fmc - Rogers Park0.55 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center1.1 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC2.78 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston2.94 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis4.13 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis4.25 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Fmc - Uptown4.59 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis4.66 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105