The Forum at Brookside is a nursing home located in Louisville, Kentucky which has a population of 736,284 people. This facility is one of the most elite nursing homes we assessed. In fact, it received the very best grade. Even in a city with 41 other nursing homes, this facility would be a great option. Headlining this facility's stellar profile is its nursing rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
The Forum at Brookside
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Jul 1, 2021 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. We scrutinized the licensure of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses were with residents, in calculating our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This nursing home also received a virtually flawless inspection. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that category with an A+. This was one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+'s. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about The Forum at Brookside?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning our next category, this top-shelf facility also dominated in the category of long-term care. In this category, we awarded it a grade of A+. Very few facilities fared better in this area. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 98.9011 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a dangerous condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last area, we awarded this facility a grade of A+ for its short-term care rating. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. In our short-term care grade, we endeavor to forge a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Forum at Brookside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Forum at Brookside, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents that developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Forum at Brookside, 3.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Forum at Brookside, 2.68% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Forum at Brookside, 16.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Forum at Brookside, 28.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Forum at Brookside, 8.14% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Forum at Brookside, 89.73% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Forum at Brookside, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Forum at Brookside, 21.86% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Many in the industry believe that mobility is important for patients health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Forum at Brookside, 21.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Forum at Brookside, 13.2 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Forum at Brookside, 72.02% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Louisville, KY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Louisville, Kentucky has 40 other nursing homes
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 2.44 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 10.16 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.81 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- Baptist Health La GrangeAcute Care Hospitals 14.26 miles away1025 New Moody Lane La Grange Kentucky 40031Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 222-5388
- Davita - Meadows East3.2 miles away2529 Six Mile Lane, Suite B Louisville Kentucky 40220Dialysis Stations: 12 (502) 499-4384
- Davita - Springhurst Dialysis Center3.47 miles away10201 Champion Farms Dr Louisville Kentucky 40241Dialysis Stations: 18 (502) 425-2131
- Fmc - Northeast Louisville3.86 miles away3701 Chamberlain Lane Louisville Kentucky 40241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (502) 327-1144
- Davita - Shelbyville Road Dialysis4.13 miles away4600 Shelbyville Road, Ste 310 Louisville Kentucky 40207Dialysis Stations: 12 (502) 893-4791
- Fmc - Suburban4.37 miles away3991 Dutchmans Lane Suite G-02 Louisville Kentucky 40207CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (502) 895-2217
- Fmc - Kentuckiana Home Therapies4.91 miles away6400 Dutchmans Parkway, Ste. 145 Louisville Kentucky 40205Dialysis Stations: 6 (502) 895-7650
- Fmc - Masonic Home Dialysis6.03 miles away3501 Moyers Circle Suite 200 Masonic Home Kentucky 40041Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 721-1083
- University Kidney Center Hikes Lane LLC6.49 miles away2271 Hikes Lane Louisville Kentucky 40218CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (502) 459-5786