The Earlwood is a senior living facility located in Torrance, California, which has a total of 174,353 people. With an overall grade of B, this is a very respectable option. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Torrance. This facility was also given strong scores in each of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Wound Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this nursing home earned a very good inspection report this year as well. For this reason, it received one of our better scores in that category with a B+. Inspection grades weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This place received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a resident even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about The Earlwood?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given a favorable short-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher grades in that category with a score of B. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most meaningful for people requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. It doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is long-term care, where this nursing home was given a B. This nursing home proved to be very solid across the board. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 98.96907 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not take any chances. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Earlwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Earlwood, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Earlwood, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Earlwood, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents that sustained UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Earlwood, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Earlwood, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Earlwood, 4.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Earlwood, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Earlwood, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Earlwood, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In The Earlwood, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Earlwood, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Earlwood, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Earlwood, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 2.28 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.76 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.05 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- u.s. Renal Care Earl Street Dialysis0.18 miles away20911 Earl Street, Suite 160 Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 9 (310) 371-4244
- Davitatorrance Emerald Dialysis0.23 miles away20821 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 214-1715
- u.s. Renal Care Torrance Dialysis Center0.47 miles away20430 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (424) 212-5051
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program1.45 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- u.s. Renal Care Redondo Beach Dialysis1.49 miles away514 N. Prospect Avenue Redondo Beach California 90277Dialysis Stations: 7 (310) 379-6671
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Dialysis1.71 miles away4450 182nd Street Redondo Beach California 90278Dialysis Stations: 15 (310) 542-8032
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis2.07 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis3.62 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180