Located in Bessemer, Alabama, Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center is one of five available facilities in this area. We gave this facility an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some decent marks. You can certainly do worse than this place. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection grade, which you can find in the next section.
Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
4201 Bessemer Super Highway,
Bessemer AL 35020
78.55% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this place also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a strong long-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it a B+ in that category, which happens to be one of our better. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 99.45355 percent of its patients, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 1.34 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days.
Does this page answer your questions about Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second worse score was short-term care, where it received a grade of just D in that area. This is a well below average score. Our short-term care grade is often employed to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. With its poor score in this area, we were not stunned to find this place offered substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
The final area we graded is nursing, which is this nursing home's least impressive category. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is clearly very disappointing. Our nursing grade includes quite a few components, however, the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home averaged a meager 3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This number is quite a bit below the national average. Unfortunately, this facility also had abysmal scores in several of the quality-based metrics to pair with its low nursing hour totals. For starters, we looked at the percentage of residents experiencing pressure ulcers. This facility was at more than double the national average in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 9.21% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which have had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.27% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 19.34% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 23.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.38% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 91.71% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 13.51% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 18.39% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Terrace Oaks Care & Rehabilitation Center, 18.39 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Bessemer, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bessemer, Alabama has 4 other nursing homes
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.95 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 9.4 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.68 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.81 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 10.4 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Fmc Midfield Dialysis0.68 miles away613 Bessemer Super Highway Birmingham Alabama 35228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 481-0019
- Bessemer Dialysis3.04 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848
- Fmc Fairfield (Steel City)3.32 miles away6508 E. J. Oliver Blvd Fairfield Alabama 35064Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 780-5122
- Jewel Dialysis3.47 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386
- Bessemer Kidney Center4.9 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Ensley Dialysis5.78 miles away2630 Avenue E Birmingham Alabama 35218CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 786-1371
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC6.08 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Steel City Dialysis6.29 miles away1809 Avenue H Birmingham Alabama 35218Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 785-2972