Teresian House Nursing Home Co is a senior living facility located in Albany, New York. The city has a total of 151,022 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some decent scores. Based on our assessment, this nursing home ought to be a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the major highlights of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Teresian House Nursing Home Co
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Albany senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection grade. In fact, its inspection grade was far better than its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave it an A. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home an impressive grade in long-term care. This facility received a grade of B in this area, which turns out to be one of our better scores. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.89529 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly illness for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Teresian House Nursing Home Co?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. We scrutinized the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses spent with patients, in calculating our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is short-term care. We gave this facility a D for our short-term care category, leaving this as its least impressive area. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. In this facility's case, it looks like it provided less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. The final metric we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.1 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Teresian House Nursing Home Co Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 5.33% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 6.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 1.07% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 13.94% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 3.1% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 99.95% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 19.31% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 12.53% of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 12.53% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 7.53% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Teresian House Nursing Home Co, 85.19% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Albany, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Albany, New York has 4 other nursing homes
- St Peter's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away315 South Manning Boulevard Albany New York 12208Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 525-1550
- Albany Medical Center HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away43 New Scotland Avenue, Mail Code 34 Albany New York 12208Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 262-2400
- Albany Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away600 Northern Boulevard Albany New York 12204Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 471-3490
- Ellis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.74 miles away1101 Nott Street Schenectady New York 12308Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 243-4000
- Samaritan Hospital-St Mary's CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away1300 Massachusetts Avenue Troy New York 12180Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 268-5000
- Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.5 miles away2215 Burdett Avenue Troy New York 12180Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 427-3402
- Freedom Center of Westmere0.26 miles away178 Washington Ave Extension Suite 3 Albany New York 12203Dialysis Stations: 17 (518) 407-0505
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc.0.35 miles away176 Washington Ave Extension Albany New York 12203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (518) 456-2429
- Albany Medical Center5.25 miles away43 New Scotland Avenue Mail Code: 73 Peds Dialysis Unit Albany New York 12208Dialysis Stations: 6 (518) 262-3347
- Fms-Albany Regional Kidney Center5.51 miles away2 Clara Barton Drive Albany New York 12208CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (518) 434-6565
- Fms-Albany Dialysis Center5.7 miles away64 Albany Shaker Road Albany New York 12204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (518) 427-0473
- Schenectady Partners LLC6.46 miles away1594 State Street Schenectady New York 12304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (518) 382-5309
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.6.89 miles away30 Century Hill Dr Latham New York 12110Dialysis Stations: 12 (518) 783-1316
- Fms-Capital District Dialysis Center7.59 miles away650 Mcclellan Street Schenectady New York 12304CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (518) 382-0202