The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing is an average-sized nursing home located in Sarasota, Florida. With an overall score of B-, this is likely a solid nursing home. Based on our analysis, there are certainly far worse places out there. This place is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a nursing score which is stronger than its overall grade. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this area. The nursing grade assesses many datapoints, but the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This facility also received favorable government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a grade of B. Inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent government inspections. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, we awarded them a B in this area, which is one of our more favorable scores. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next area, this facility received a respectable short-term care grade of C. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. We weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 3.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 2.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 94.94% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Meadows Center for Nursing and Healing, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 22 other nursing homes
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 3.95 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.15 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.27 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center2.92 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Manasota Dialysis3.06 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis3.53 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center3.8 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Us Renal Care Sarasota4.82 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails5.9 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Bradenton Dialysis10.68 miles away3501 Cortez Rd W Bradenton Florida 34210Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 727-4209
- Southwest Florida Dialysis Center10.92 miles away520 Manatee Ave East Bradenton Florida 34208Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 747-5500