Sunny View Nursing Home is one of six nursing homes in Warwick, Rhode Island. Featuring an overall rating of A, this is clearly a top-shelf facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes nationally. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category scores, which are also impressive. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Sunny View Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in our shot-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. In our short-term care grade, we attempt to craft a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at a facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A. When computing our nursing grades, we weigh both staffing levels and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Sunny View Nursing Home?
Tallying yet another strong category grade, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we rated, this nursing home received an impressive grade grade of B+ in our long-term care category. With this score, the facility completed a very favorable report card. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sunny View Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 7.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 3.81% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 2.72% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 17.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 15.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 2.96% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 94.59% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 17.47% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 23.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 23.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 11.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 77.51% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Warwick, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Warwick, Rhode Island has 5 other nursing homes
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.63 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 6.86 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.15 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick1.15 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of West Warwick2.96 miles away1775 Bald Hill Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (401) 823-8420
- Dialysis Center of Providence6.25 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Johnston7.62 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital8.08 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital8.1 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of East Providence8.48 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Nna of Providence8.77 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300