Sunny View Nursing Home is one of six nursing homes in Warwick, Rhode Island. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this is clearly a very good facility. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as one of the three best facilities in Warwick. Keep reading to find this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good. It's hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Sunny View Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
83 Corona Street,
Warwick RI 02886
91.57% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Warwick, Rhode Island Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Warwick, Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first-rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in our short-term care category, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Short-term care ratings are crucial for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional skilled nursing. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A. The nursing rating includes a handful of datapoints, but the primary one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Sunny View Nursing Home?
In addition, this facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an impressive grade of B+. Few facilities performed better in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be quite insignificant. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was long-term care. In this area, we gave this facility a strong grade of B. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are well cared for. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sunny View Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 2.58% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 94.38% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 16.46% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Many believe that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 12.45 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sunny View Nursing Home, 77.52% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Warwick, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Warwick, Rhode Island has 5 other nursing homes
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.63 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 6.86 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.15 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick1.15 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of West Warwick2.96 miles away1775 Bald Hill Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (401) 823-8420
- Dialysis Center of Providence6.25 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Johnston7.62 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital8.08 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital8.1 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of East Providence8.48 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Nna of Providence8.77 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300