Sunny View Retirement Community is a facility in Cupertino, California, a city with a total of 60,717 people. With an overall grade of B+, this is a high quality nursing home. As far as we can see, this place looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Sunny View Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to a phenomenal overall grade, this facility also received A+ nursing grade. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received quality marks in the category of short-term care. Consequently, it was given one of our most impressive grades in that category with a score of A+. In crafting these short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 7.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Sunny View Retirement Community?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we awarded them one of our more favorable scores in our long-term care category as well, with a B+. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 99.07407 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a dangerous condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Finally, we found that this facility has received favorable inspections in recent years. We awarded it a score of B- in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sunny View Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients that have sustained a UTI. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sunny View Retirement Community, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 3.79 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 4.01 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.47 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 9.79 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 12.23 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Davita El Camino Dialysis3.82 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Davita Santa Clara Dialysis Center4.05 miles away777 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 243-1130
- Wellbound of Mountain View4.22 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View4.22 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale4.67 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887
- San Jose at Home4.75 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center4.8 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek4.85 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777