Sun Mar Nursing Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Anaheim, California. We awarded this nursing home an overall rating of A. As a result, it is one of the better nursing homes in Anaheim, which offers some very good facilities. Even in a city featuring 14 nursing homes, this facility stood out. This nursing home also received consistently good scores in all of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Sun Mar Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a favorable overall score, we gave this facility an A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf profile, this nursing home also performed well in our long-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in the area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Sun Mar Nursing Center?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. We assessed the qualifications of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of time those nurses were with patients, in computing our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was short-term care. This facility was given a very good nursing grade in our assessment, with a B. While this wasn't as strong as several of its other grades, this is nevertheless one of the better scores in this area. Our short-term care scores are probably most critical for residents requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sun Mar Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care residents that suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.58 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis0.58 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis0.78 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Fmc-North Orange County1.4 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis1.56 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis2.4 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045
- Fmc-Orange County Home2.48 miles away1401 S Brookhurst Ste 108 Fullerton California 92833Dialysis Stations: 4 (714) 773-1407
- Fmc-Anaheim Dialysis3.36 miles away3150 W. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 816-8725
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove3.79 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122