Sun Mar Nursing Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Anaheim, California. We awarded this nursing home an overall rating of A. As a result, it is one of the better nursing homes in Anaheim, which offers some very good facilities. You simply can not do any better than this place. This also turned out to be a very consistent facility with consistent scores in all of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Sun Mar Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1720 West Orange Avenue,
Anaheim CA 92804
90.57% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a favorable overall grade, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspection category. Our inspection grades are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf profile, this nursing home also performed well in our long-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in the area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Sun Mar Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning our third area, this facility received a top-shelf short-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it a score of A in this category. Our short-term care scores are vital for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
In the last area, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our nursing score. This completed a very strong profile. The nursing score weighs a number of factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning patients even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sun Mar Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who have suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 5.83% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sun Mar Nursing Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.58 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis0.58 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis0.78 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Fmc-North Orange County1.4 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis1.56 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis2.4 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045
- Fmc-Orange County Home2.48 miles away1401 S Brookhurst Ste 108 Fullerton California 92833Dialysis Stations: 4 (714) 773-1407
- Fmc-Anaheim Dialysis3.36 miles away3150 W. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 816-8725
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove3.79 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122