St Patricks Home is a very-large non-profit facility located in Bronx, New York. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is among the most impressive grades that we offer. A score of this caliber requires excellent marks across the board. You really can not do much better than this nursing home. If you look below, you will see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also impressive.
St Patricks Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
66 Van Cortlandt Park South,
Bronx NY 10463
58.25% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A+. Few nursing homes performed this well in this area. Inspection grades are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many elite scores, this facility received a top-shelf long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- in this category. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 96.00666 percent of its residents, which is better than most nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.09 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about St Patricks Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is short-term care. This facility received an impressive short-term care score, with a grade of B+ in this category. Our short-term care scores are likely most meaningful for people needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. This facility excelled in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It supplied more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than the typical facility. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that it performed as well as just about any facility in New York in this area with 56.5 percent of its residents returning home. At most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
The next category we assessed is nursing, where this facility was awarded a B. Although this proved to be its lowest category grade, this is still a good grade. The nursing rating is based on a host of factors. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provides 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these statistics as good indicators of the quality of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Patricks Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Patricks Home, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Patricks Home, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Patricks Home, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Patricks Home, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Patricks Home, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Patricks Home, 13.02% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Patricks Home, 92.45% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Patricks Home, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Patricks Home, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In St Patricks Home, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Patricks Home, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Patricks Home, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Patricks Home, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 42 other nursing homes
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.3 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.84 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center1.04 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc1.22 miles away3525 White Plains Road Ste. A Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 652-1013
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc1.22 miles away3525 White Plains Road, Suite B Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 547-4562
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.34 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Montefiore Medical Center - Wakefield Hospital1.57 miles away600 East 233rd Street Hemodialysis Unit Bronx New York 10466Dialysis Stations: 8 (718) 920-9041
- Davita Allerton Dialysis1.72 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285
- Davita Laconia Dialysis2.11 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538