St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center is one of five available facilities located in Cedar Grove, New Jersey. This nursing home proved to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. The best part of this facility's strong report card is its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong nursing home overall, this place excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A-. Not many nursing homes fared better in this area. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the category of short-term care, where it received a score of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing grade assesses the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final area, we awarded this nursing home a A- for its long-term care grade. This topped off an elite report card. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.89197 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents that suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 5.81% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 92% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients well-being.
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Joseph's Healthcare and Rehab Center, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Cedar Grove, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Cedar Grove, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 1.51 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.27 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.74 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- St. Joseph's Wayne Dialysis1.68 miles away57 Willowbrook Blvd Wayne New Jersey 07470Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 890-2792
- Woodland Park Dialysis Center2.14 miles away1225 Mcbride Ave Suite 100 Little Falls New Jersey 07424CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 890-2394
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair3.54 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Mountainside Hospital3.56 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis3.76 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570
- St. Joseph's Paterson Dialysis3.94 miles away11 Getty Avenue 275 Hospital Plaza Paterson New Jersey 07503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 60 (973) 684-3490
- Physicians Dialysis Passaic4.32 miles away10 Clifton Blvd Clifton New Jersey 07011CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (973) 594-9100
- Ara Clifton Dialysis Center4.7 miles away251 Clifton Avenue Unit A Clifton New Jersey 07011Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 546-3750