St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center is a large nursing home in Dorchester, Massachusetts. This facility is ranked among the top facilities we found. A score in this range requires top-notch marks across the board. In fact, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the top 100 facilities in Massachusetts. This is an impressive feat in a state with a long list of elite nursing homes. If you look further down this page, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which are just as strong as its overall grade.
St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in our shot-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Our short-term care grades are crucial for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. In computing a nursing home's nursing score, we assess the quantity of hours nurses commit to patients as well as the levels of training of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third category, we gave this facility a grade of A for its long-term care score. This is a very impressive score. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 81.369865 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be a few points less than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Finally, this facility also received excellent inspection reports in recent years. We gave it one of our best grades in the area of inspections, with an elite grade of A-. Few facilities earned an A- or better in every category. Our inspection grades are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care residents which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which have had urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 1.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 91.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.18 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 2.93 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 3.75 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)1.13 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Us Renal Care Quincy1.55 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)1.92 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner2.96 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Davita Boston Dialysis3.09 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Brigham and Women's Hospital3.51 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston3.51 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc. (Dci Boston)3.95 miles away35 Kneeland Street 5th Floor Boston Massachusetts 02111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 636-6389