St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center is a large nursing home in Dorchester, Massachusetts. This facility is ranked among the top facilities we found. A score in this range requires top-notch marks across the board. In fact, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the top 50 facilities in Massachusetts. If you look below, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which look to be just as impressive as its overall grade.
St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
321 Centre Street,
Dorchester MA 02122
92.52% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in Dorchester, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Dorchester, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Dorchester, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our short-term care category. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Nursing ratings are mostly based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our next area, this facility received first-rate long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a score of A in that category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 84.281845 percent of its patients, which is a bit lower than we expected. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to our inspection category, this nursing home excelled in that area, which is based on the nursing home's recent inspections. In fact, we gave it an A- for that category. This completed its straight A report card. Our inspection ratings account for several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. This facility received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents that have sustained falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 1.93% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 91.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Joseph Rehab & Nursing Care Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.18 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 2.93 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 3.75 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)1.13 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Us Renal Care Quincy1.55 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)1.92 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner2.96 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Davita Boston Dialysis3.09 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Brigham and Women's Hospital3.51 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston3.51 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc. (Dci Boston)3.95 miles away35 Kneeland Street 5th Floor Boston Massachusetts 02111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 636-6389