St Joseph of Harahan is in the densely populated metropolitan area of New Orleans, Louisiana which has a population of 382,333 people. This facility received an overall rating of F. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 15 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. We were surprisingly able to give this nursing home some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can read more about below.
St Joseph of Harahan
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a fairly impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable scores in that area with a B+. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. It is typically best to avoid nursing homes that have too many severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's host of low-end grades was its F in the area of long-term care. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated just 70.20408 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about St Joseph of Harahan?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. The nursing score consists of many factors, but the main one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is short-term care. This facility was given an abysmal grade of F in that category. In our short-term care category, we strive to create a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess a nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Considering its grade in this category, we were not stunned to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Joseph of Harahan Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Joseph of Harahan, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Joseph of Harahan, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Joseph of Harahan, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents who had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Joseph of Harahan, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Joseph of Harahan, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Joseph of Harahan, 1.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Joseph of Harahan, 89.54% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Joseph of Harahan, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Joseph of Harahan, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In St Joseph of Harahan, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Joseph of Harahan, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Joseph of Harahan, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Joseph of Harahan, 64.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 14 other nursing homes
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 5.38 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- Ochsner Medical Center-KennerAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away180 West Esplanade Avenue Kenner Louisiana 70065Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 468-4806
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Fmcna - Dialysis Services Avondale2.94 miles away141 S Jamie Blvd Westwego Louisiana 70094Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 342-7773
- Davita - Chateau Dialysis3.98 miles away720 Village Rd Kenner Louisiana 70065Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 469-2796
- Davita - Westwego Dialysis4.14 miles away#1 Westbank Expressway Westwego Louisiana 70094Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 347-6942
- Fmcna - Ochsner New Orleans4.37 miles away630 Deckbar Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70121CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (504) 837-0021
- Fmcna - Metairie4.43 miles away4425 Utica St Metairie Louisiana 70006CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 455-5535
- Davita - Metairie4.58 miles away7100 Airline Dr Metairie Louisiana 70003Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 731-1969
- Fmcna - Ochsner-St Charles5.12 miles away150 James Dr East Ste 110 Saint Rose Louisiana 70087Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 712-5454
- Fmcna - Kenner Dialysis5.3 miles away2717 Decatur St Kenner Louisiana 70062Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 469-1075