St John Specialty Care Center is located in Mars, Pennsylvania. The city has 14,396 people. This is a well below average facility, with an overall grade of D. Based on our assessment, this facility may not be the best fit for most people. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
St John Specialty Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: St John Specialty Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score is not a highlight, it actually received a slightly more favorable grade in the area of inspections. We awarded it a grade of B- for this area, which is a decent score. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
We also awarded this facility a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing grade is largely associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about St John Specialty Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third highest category we gave this nursing home in any category came in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of B-. Short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the typical facility. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is long-term care. We gave this facility a C in that area. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the skilled therapy or medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to just 86.81319 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this place keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St John Specialty Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St John Specialty Care Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St John Specialty Care Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St John Specialty Care Center, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St John Specialty Care Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents which are given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St John Specialty Care Center, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St John Specialty Care Center, 3.23% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St John Specialty Care Center, 88.5% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St John Specialty Care Center, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St John Specialty Care Center, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility.
In St John Specialty Care Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St John Specialty Care Center, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St John Specialty Care Center, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St John Specialty Care Center, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Heritage Valley SewickleyAcute Care Hospitals 13.63 miles away720 Blackburn Road Sewickley Pennsylvania 15143Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 741-7000
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.32 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 15.56 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.01 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Heritage Valley BeaverAcute Care Hospitals 16.18 miles away1000 Dutch Ridge Road Beaver Pennsylvania 15009Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 728-7000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.45 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.55 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Dci of Seven Fields2.44 miles away201 Highpointe Drive Mars Pennsylvania 16046Dialysis Stations: 19 (724) 779-3930
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cranberry4.47 miles away5 Saint Francis Way Cranberry Twp Pennsylvania 16066Dialysis Stations: 7 (724) 779-9770
- Dci of North Hills10.83 miles away3412 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (412) 635-0211
- Davita Avonworth Dialysis11.48 miles away259 Mt. Nebo Pointe Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Dialysis Stations: 9 (412) 364-3238
- Liberty Dialysis - Baden12.07 miles away1682 State Street Baden Pennsylvania 15005CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (724) 869-2830
- Butler County Dialysis Center12.49 miles away111 Woody Drive Butler Pennsylvania 16001CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (724) 431-2241
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shaler13.17 miles away880 Butler Street Shaler Plaza Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15223Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 782-3790
- Dci of North Borough Clinic14.14 miles away100 South Jackson Avenue, 7th Central Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15202Dialysis Stations: 8 (412) 766-6590