St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center is a small non-profit nursing home in Castro Valley, California. Featuring an overall rating of A, this is undoubtedly a first-rate facility. You really can't do any better than this nursing home. If you look below, you will see this facility's category grades, which are also quite good.
St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Best Nursing Home in Castro Valley, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Castro Valley, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this very important category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite insignificant. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional reason we graded this nursing home so favorably is that it was awarded an A+ long-term care score. This is simply as dominant as it gets in this category. Facilities that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are kept in good health. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. In computing our nursing scores, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A+ for our short-term care rating. This wrapped up a first-rate profile. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to formulate a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients which suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents that suffered falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St John Kronstadt Convalescent Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Castro Valley, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Castro Valley, California has 4 other nursing homes
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.97 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 5.41 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 10.39 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.81 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.99 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.8 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis2.97 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- South Hayward Dialysis Center3.31 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward Dialysis Center4.01 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro5.24 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro5.36 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center5.38 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Rai Bancroft5.4 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333