St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is in the densely populated metropolitan area of El Paso, Texas which has a population of 746,640 people. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road rating. At the end of the day, this facility ought to be a solid choice for quite a few people. The best part of this facility's profile was is its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
950 Camino Del Rey Drive,
El Paso TX 79927
74.83% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's better category grades came in the area of long-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B+. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 99.41003 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's third best category was short-term care. As it turns out, with a D in this area, it still fared somewhat poorly. With our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. With its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this facility was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the measures we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Moving on to the fourth category, this nursing home did not fare well. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in nursing, this was this facility's poorest category. Our nursing grade weighs many components, but the primary one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which have sustained a UTI. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.84% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 93.69% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for El Paso, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of F
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Paso, Texas has 5 other nursing homes
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away1416 George Dieter El Paso Texas 79936Proprietary(915) 598-4240
- The Hospitals of Providence Horizon City CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away13600 Horizon Street, Suite 100 El Paso Texas 79928Proprietary(915) 407-7878
- The Hospitals of Providence East CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away3280 Joe Battle Blvd El Paso Texas 79938Proprietary(915) 856-7349
- El Paso Children's HospitalChildrens 10.15 miles away4845 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Voluntary non-profit - Private(915) 521-7148
- El Paso Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 10.26 miles away4615 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Government - State(915) 532-2202
- University Medical Center of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away4815 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79905Government - Hospital District or Authority(915) 521-7602
- Sierra Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.74 miles away1625 Medical Center Dr El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 747-4000
- Las Palmas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.49 miles away1801 North Oregon Street El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 521-1200
- Americas Dialysis0.49 miles away715 N. Americas Ave. El Paso Texas 79907CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 2 (915) 872-8185
- Fresenius Medical Care Horizon Dialysis1.49 miles away12245 Rojas Drive El Paso Texas 79936Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 872-0270
- Ridgecrest Dialysis1.49 miles away12249 Rojas Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (915) 790-0839
- Davita Socorro Dialysis2.74 miles away10697 N. Loop Dr. El Paso Texas 79927Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 790-0538
- Us Renal Care South El Paso Dialysis2.99 miles away10651 North Loop El Paso Texas 79927Dialysis Stations: 12 (915) 255-4344
- Davita East Dialysis3.21 miles away11989 Pellicano Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 856-6363
- Davita - Loma Vista Dialysis4.65 miles away1382a Lomaland Dr El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 53 (915) 591-0834
- Us Renal Care East El Paso Dialysis5.11 miles away10737 Gateway W Ste 100 El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (915) 590-8334