St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in El Paso, Texas. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. This grade was right in line with the city grade in El Paso, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
950 Camino Del Rey Drive,
El Paso TX 79927
73.38% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this facility a grade of B+ in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our higher scores. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are kept in good health. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Another concern was the F this nursing home received in the area of short-term care. In computing our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to create a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Based on its score in this area, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Honestly, this was what we expected here. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength either for this nursing home. We found that just 45.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is below average.
Switching gears to the last category, this nursing home really didn't perform well. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in nursing, this is this nursing home's worst category grade. Our nursing rating assesses many data points, but the paramount one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility averaged only 3.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. To pair with its subpar totals in the area of nursing hours per patient, this place also didn't perform as well in the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing grades. We looked at the percent of residents experiencing major falls and pressure ulcers. This nursing home had more pressure ulcers and falls than the average facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term residents that have sustained a urinary tract infection. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.7% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 95.06% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Giles Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for El Paso, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? El Paso, Texas has 19 other nursing homes
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away1416 George Dieter El Paso Texas 79936Proprietary(915) 598-4240
- The Hospitals of Providence Horizon City CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away13600 Horizon Street, Suite 100 El Paso Texas 79928Proprietary(915) 407-7878
- The Hospitals of Providence East CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away3280 Joe Battle Blvd El Paso Texas 79938Proprietary(915) 856-7349
- El Paso Children's HospitalChildrens 10.15 miles away4845 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Voluntary non-profit - Private(915) 521-7148
- El Paso Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 10.26 miles away4615 Alameda Avenue El Paso Texas 79905Government - State(915) 532-2202
- University Medical Center of El PasoAcute Care Hospitals 10.26 miles away4815 Alameda Ave El Paso Texas 79905Government - Hospital District or Authority(915) 521-7602
- Sierra Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.74 miles away1625 Medical Center Dr El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 747-4000
- Las Palmas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.49 miles away1801 North Oregon Street El Paso Texas 79902Proprietary(915) 521-1200
- Americas Dialysis0.49 miles away715 N. Americas Ave. El Paso Texas 79907CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 2 (915) 872-8185
- Fresenius Medical Care Horizon Dialysis1.49 miles away12245 Rojas Drive El Paso Texas 79936Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 872-0270
- Ridgecrest Dialysis1.49 miles away12249 Rojas Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (915) 790-0839
- Davita Socorro Dialysis2.74 miles away10697 N. Loop Dr. El Paso Texas 79927Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 790-0538
- Us Renal Care South El Paso Dialysis2.99 miles away10651 North Loop El Paso Texas 79927Dialysis Stations: 12 (915) 255-4344
- Davita East Dialysis3.21 miles away11989 Pellicano Drive El Paso Texas 79936CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (915) 856-6363
- Davita - Loma Vista Dialysis4.65 miles away1382a Lomaland Dr El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 53 (915) 591-0834
- Us Renal Care East El Paso Dialysis5.11 miles away10737 Gateway W Ste 100 El Paso Texas 79935CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (915) 590-8334