St Clare Health and Rehab is a facility located in Memphis, Tennessee which has 697,385 people. We awarded this facility a decent overall rating of B-. After sizing up the other alternatives in Memphis, this appears to be a higher quality option than most of them. Based on the data we reviewed, there are definitely much worse places out there. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
St Clare Health and Rehab
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
1755 Eldridge Ave,
Memphis TN 38108
69.37% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Tennessee Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Tennessee Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection score. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to note that this facility received strong long-term care marks in this assessment. We awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B+. This proved to be the nursing home's second strongest score. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 85.840706 percent of its patients. This is slightly lower than we expected. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St Clare Health and Rehab?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. Our nursing rating assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of skill of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest category is short-term care, which is the final area we scored. For this area, we gave this nursing home a grade of D. Our short-term care grade is often employed to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Clare Health and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 8.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 3.29% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents that have had falls resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. More frequent bathing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 29.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 9.14% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 88.31% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 20.35% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Clare Health and Rehab, 20.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Memphis, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Memphis, Tennessee has 12 other nursing homes
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 2.61 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 2.69 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.25 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Saint Francis Bartlett Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.42 miles away2986 Kate Bond Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Proprietary(901) 820-7050
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 16.74 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Satellite Healthcare of Poplar Avenue LLC2.13 miles away1333 Poplar Ave Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 725-0482
- Isd Renal Inc2.34 miles away1331 Union Avenue, Ste. 101 Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (901) 278-5400
- Fmc Memphis2.44 miles away1428 Monroe Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (901) 272-8683
- Davita Memphis Downtown2.5 miles away2076 Union Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (901) 725-1169
- Isd Renal Inc2.6 miles away1166 Monroe Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 722-2012
- Fmc Memphis Midtown2.62 miles away2225 Union Avenue Suite 200 Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (901) 725-7586
- Memphis Central Dialysis3.11 miles away889 Dr. M. L. King Jr. Ave Memphis Tennessee 38126CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (901) 525-1719
- Satellite Healthcare Chickasaw Gardens, LLC3.24 miles away2980 Poplar Ave Suite 102 Memphis Tennessee 38111Dialysis Stations: 25 (901) 531-8850