St Catherine of Siena is a small non-profit nursing home in Caldwell, New Jersey. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this is without a doubt a high quality nursing home. In our view, this nursing home looks like a wonderful choice for most people. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which you can find in the next section.
St Catherine of Siena
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also excelled in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Very few facilities performed better in this area. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about St Catherine of Siena?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. The nursing rating weighs quite a few components, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we graded is short-term care. This nursing home was given a very good short-term care rating this year, with a B-. Although this isn't nearly as strong as some of its other scores, this is nevertheless a decent grade for this category. In determining these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to create a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Catherine of Siena Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Catherine of Siena, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Catherine of Siena, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Catherine of Siena, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained UTI's. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Catherine of Siena, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Catherine of Siena, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Catherine of Siena, 5.81% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Catherine of Siena, 92% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Catherine of Siena, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Catherine of Siena, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In St Catherine of Siena, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Catherine of Siena, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 2.18 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.16 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.94 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair2.59 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Mountainside Hospital3.01 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis3.01 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- St. Joseph's Wayne Dialysis3.99 miles away57 Willowbrook Blvd Wayne New Jersey 07470Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 890-2792
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc4.75 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Fresenius Medical Care Livingston, LLC4.78 miles away348 East Northfield Road Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 535-0667
- Fmc Orange Dc4.99 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital5.01 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035