St Camillus Health Center is a facility in Whitinsville, Massachusetts. The city has 9,733 people. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Based on our assessment, this facility likely isn't the best fit for most people. The best thing we can say about this nursing home is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
St Camillus Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: St Camillus Health Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it received a somewhat respectable score in the area of inspections. We awarded it a B- for that category, which is a decent score. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of B-. Our nursing rating is mostly based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is far below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about St Camillus Health Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed was short-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this category. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its level of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The important question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a B-. In determining our long-term care ratings, we analyze the personal care received by the facility's patients. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 97.19101 percent of its patients, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Camillus Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Camillus Health Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Camillus Health Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have sustained falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Camillus Health Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Camillus Health Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Camillus Health Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Camillus Health Center, 1.93% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Camillus Health Center, 91.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Camillus Health Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Camillus Health Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In St Camillus Health Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Camillus Health Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Camillus Health Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Camillus Health Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Milford Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.21 miles away14 Prospect Street Milford Massachusetts 01757Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 473-1190
- Umass Memorial Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away55 Lake Avenue North Worcester Massachusetts 01655Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 334-1000
- St Vincent HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away123 Summer Street Worcester Massachusetts 01608Proprietary(508) 363-5000
- Landmark Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away115 Cass Avenue Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 769-4100
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.19 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Marlborough HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.42 miles away157 Union Street Marlborough Massachusetts 01752Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 481-5000
- Harrington Memorial Hospital-1Acute Care Hospitals 19.12 miles away100 South Street Southbridge Massachusetts 01550Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 765-9771
- Day Kimball HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.61 miles away320 Pomfret Street Putnam Connecticut 06260Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 928-6541
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Blackstone Valley7.66 miles away42 Cape Road Milford Massachusetts 01757CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 634-4331
- Bio-Medical Applications of Massachusetts Inc9.9 miles away867 Grafton Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 387-9332
- Auburn Health LLC10.09 miles away771 South Bridge Street Suite 1 Auburn Massachusetts 01501Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 832-3604
- South County Dialysis Center11.31 miles away336 Thompson Road Suite 1 Webster Massachusetts 01570CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 943-3998
- University Dialysis Center (Bma of Shrewsbury)11.31 miles away239-243 Boston Turnpike Road Shrewsbury Massachusetts 01545Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 753-0886
- U-Mass Memorial Health Care Systems11.34 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Lake Avenue North Rm h7-331 Worcester Massachusetts 01655Dialysis Stations: 13 (774) 442-3814
- Davita Shrewsbury Street Dialysis11.56 miles away267 Shrewsbury Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (774) 530-6353
- Saint Vincent's Hospital11.72 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 123 Summer St, Suite 380 Worcester Massachusetts 01608Dialysis Stations: 12 (508) 363-9460