St Anthony's Nursing Home is one of four available facilities located in Metairie, Louisiana. Sporting an overall score of C, this appears to be a decent facility. At the end of the day, this facility would be a good fit for quite a few people. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
St Anthony's Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave it an A+. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, we gave them a grade of B+ in this category, which happens to be one of our more favorable scores. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 98.1982 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St Anthony's Nursing Home?
Next we looked at nursing grades, where this nursing home received an F, which is a rock bottom grade. This area was definitely not a strength for this facility. When determining our nursing ratings, we weigh both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This facility offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth area, this facility did not perform well. With a very poor grade of F in short-term care, this was this nursing home's poorest grade. Our short-term care scores are critical for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Anthony's Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 1.54% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 89.03% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that maintained mobility.
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Anthony's Nursing Home, 63.81% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Metairie, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Metairie, Louisiana has 3 other nursing homes
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- Ochsner Medical Center-KennerAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away180 West Esplanade Avenue Kenner Louisiana 70065Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 468-4806
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 5.85 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 7.11 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.41 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Fmcna - Metairie1.87 miles away4425 Utica St Metairie Louisiana 70006CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 455-5535
- Fmcna - Crescent Home Therapy3.04 miles away3030 N Arnoult, Ste B Metairie Louisiana 70002Dialysis Stations: 1 (504) 454-6989
- Davita - Metairie3.05 miles away7100 Airline Dr Metairie Louisiana 70003Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 731-1969
- Fmcna - Ochsner New Orleans3.16 miles away630 Deckbar Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70121CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (504) 837-0021
- Fmcna - Ochsner North Arnoult3.32 miles away3030 N Arnoult Rd, Ste A Metairie Louisiana 70002Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 457-3498
- Fkc - Kenner Home Therapies3.81 miles away3409 Williams Blvd, Suite 2 Kenner Louisiana 70065Dialysis Stations: 6 (504) 305-1980
- Davita - Chateau Dialysis3.9 miles away720 Village Rd Kenner Louisiana 70065Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 469-2796
- Fmcna - Kenner Dialysis4.46 miles away2717 Decatur St Kenner Louisiana 70062Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 469-1075