Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf is one of seven facilities in Massillon, Ohio. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor facility. This facility seems to have very little working in its favor. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many positive things to say about this place's overall grade, it earned a somewhat respectable government inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a B-. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Our nursing score is largely based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, while this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared well in this statistic.
Does this page answer your questions about Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category was short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a B-. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation In order to have quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in that area. This is not a bad grade in this category. Our long-term care grade is generally used to measure a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a skilled nursing facility. One of the data points we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients that sustained a UTI. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients which are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 20% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 90.19% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sprenger Health Care of Massillon Snf, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Massillon, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Massillon, Ohio has 6 other nursing homes
- Aultman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away2600 Sixth Street Sw Canton Ohio 44710Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 363-6352
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away1320 Mercy Drive Nw Canton Ohio 44708Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 489-1080
- Aultman Orrville HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 14.96 miles away832 South Main Street Orrville Ohio 44667Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 682-3010
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 19.55 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.66 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Union HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.7 miles away659 Boulevard Dover Ohio 44622Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 343-3311
- Davita - Massillon Community Dialysis0.72 miles away2112 Lincoln Way East Massillon Ohio 44646Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 837-7730
- Fmc - Massillon Dialysis Center2.14 miles away2474 Lincoln Way East Massillon Ohio 44646Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 837-2575
- Davita Canton Dialysis3.81 miles away2912 W Tuscarawas St Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 27 (330) 458-0150
- Fmc- Stark County Dialysis3.85 miles away2835 Tuscarawas Street West Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 17 (330) 456-3997
- Davita Belden Community Dialysis4 miles away4685 Fulton Road Nw Canton Ohio 44718CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (330) 649-9300
- Davita - Mercy Canton Dialysis4.51 miles away1320 Mercy Drive N W Canton Ohio 44708Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 580-4001
- Davita Navarre Dialysis5.32 miles away517 Park St Nw Suite A Navarre Ohio 44662Dialysis Stations: 7 (330) 879-5270
- Kamaka Dialysis LLC11.33 miles away1587 Boettler Rd Suite 130 Uniontown Ohio 44685Dialysis Stations: 14 (330) 899-0035