Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center is located in Norwell, Massachusetts, a city with a total of 10,506 people. This is a fine nursing home. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid score. You could certainly do much worse than this nursing home. Fortunately, this place did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Best Nursing Home in Norwell, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall score, this facility earned a grade of B+ for its inspections grade. This is an above average score in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional quality feature for this facility is that it was awarded an above average long-term care score. Indeed, this ended up being its second best category score. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a B+. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.73545 percent of its residents. This is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. There are several datapoints included in this category. Most of the subcategories reflect nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was short-term care. We gave this facility a grade of B- in this category. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 1.93% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Southwood at Norwell Nursing Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.49 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 15.22 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.47 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.71 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis3.2 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis4.56 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Quality Care Dialysis Center5.43 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility8.29 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center9.81 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC10.01 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC11.54 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Us Renal Care Quincy11.86 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800