Southpointe Healthcare Center is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a subpar facility. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 46 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Southpointe Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Southpointe Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many positive things to say about this nursing home's overall grade, it earned a respectable inspection report this year. It received a decent grade in this area with a B-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Our nursing score is primarily associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular facility provided just 0 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Southpointe Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed is short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a B-. Our short-term care grade is often used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the typical facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final area, we awarded this facility a grade of D in long-term care. This is the nursing home's least impressive category score. Nursing homes that do not score well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to a relatively low 43.939396 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Southpointe Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 12.89% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 91.48% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Many argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Southpointe Healthcare Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 0.51 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 10.14 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 10.25 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.75 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Johnson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away1125 W Jefferson St Franklin Indiana 46131Government - Local(317) 736-3300
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 14.7 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Davita - Indy South Dialysis0.74 miles away972 Emerson Parkway, Suite E Greenwood Indiana 46143Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 881-0641
- Us Renal Care-Greenwood Renal Center1.68 miles away125 Airport Parkway, Suite 140 Greenwood Indiana 46143CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (317) 883-1280
- Indiana Dialysis Company2.22 miles away7840 Madison Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46227CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (317) 300-9400
- Fmc - Indianapolis-South2.76 miles away1350 E County Line Rd Suite L Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 865-8520
- Fresenius Medical Care Indiana, LLC2.99 miles away6826 Madison Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 791-8362
- Davita - Marion County4.83 miles away3834 South Emerson Avenue Building B Indianapolis Indiana 46203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 787-3171
- Davita - Indy East10 miles away1208 N Arlington Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 353-6315
- Davita University Dialysis of Indy10.51 miles away550 N. University Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 31 (317) 635-8729