South Valley Care Center is located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This city is one of the most densely populated cities in the country with has a population of 641,349 people. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is one of the most impressive ratings that we offer. A score in this range requires first-rate scores across the board. Even in a city featuring 18 nursing homes, this one stood out as a fine option. The best aspect of this facility's strong report card was its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
South Valley Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in New Mexico Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to be an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to point out the fact that this nursing home was given a first-rate grade of A- in our long-term care category. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 96.92307 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a life or death ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not take any chances. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about South Valley Care Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. The nursing score includes quite a few components, but the most important one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this nursing home was awarded a respectable short-term care score. Although this was not as elite as several of its other category grades, this is really not a terrible score. Our short-term care grades are probably most critical for those requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Valley Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Valley Care Center, 8.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Valley Care Center, 3.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained falls resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Valley Care Center, 1.47% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Valley Care Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients that were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Valley Care Center, 13.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients which were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Valley Care Center, 3.19% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Valley Care Center, 88.36% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Valley Care Center, 16.72% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Valley Care Center, 18.98% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Many would argue that mobility is important for residents' health.
In South Valley Care Center, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Valley Care Center, 18.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Albuquerque, NM
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Albuquerque, New Mexico has 17 other nursing homes
- Lovelace Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.84 miles away601 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Ave Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 727-8000
- Presbyterian HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away1100 Central Avenue Se Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 724-8386
- Unm HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away2211 Lomas Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Other(505) 272-2111
- Lovelace Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away4701 Montgomery Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Government - State(505) 727-7805
- Lovelace Westside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.14 miles away10501 Golf Course Road Nw Albuquerque New Mexico 87114Proprietary(505) 727-2001
- Unm Sandoval Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.02 miles away3001 Broadmoor Blvd Ne Rio Rancho New Mexico 87144Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 994-7402
- Albuquerque South (Dci)0.64 miles away1725 Isleta Blvd Sw Albuquerque New Mexico 87105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 877-3181
- New Mexico Artificial Kidney Center (Fmc)2.82 miles away1600 Randolph Se Ste 100 Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Dialysis Stations: 21 (505) 244-3633
- Albuquerque Westside, LLC2.83 miles away300 Unser Blvd Nw Albuquerque New Mexico 87121Dialysis Stations: 21 (505) 839-5282
- Albuquerque Southwest Mesa2.96 miles away8121 Central Ave Nw Albuquerque New Mexico 87121Dialysis Stations: 20 (505) 836-1061
- Fresenius Kidney Care Home Dialysis of New Mexico LLC3.2 miles away700 Lomas Blvd Ne Three Woodward Center Albuquerque New Mexico 87102Dialysis Stations: 3 (505) 842-5210
- Unm Pediatric Dialysis3.63 miles away2211 Lomas Blvd Ne Box 256 Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Dialysis Stations: 4 (505) 925-4387
- Albuquerque Dialysis (Dci)3.85 miles away1500 Indian School Rd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (505) 724-1500
- Gibson Dialysis Center (Fmc)5.53 miles away5400 Gibson Blvd Se Ssuite 100 Albuquerque New Mexico 87108Dialysis Stations: 25 (505) 255-0111