South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center is a nursing home in South Lyon, Michigan, which has a total of 29,320 people. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this is a very good nursing home. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities nationally. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on South Lyon senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care grade. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center?
This facility received high marks in the category of nursing. Consequently, it received one of our best grades in that category with an impressive grade of A-. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of hours those nurses spent with residents, in computing our grade in this area. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Michigan in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at ended up being this nursing home's worst area. However, even in its weakest link we still awarded it an acceptable grade of C in our long-term care category. In our long-term care category, we focus more on the sheer quantity of care offered by a nursing home, along with a handful of quality measures. Once we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 3.38% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 91.02% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In South Lyon Senior Care and Rehab Center, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- University of Michigan Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.74 miles away1500 E Medical Center Drive, Spc 5474 Ann Arbor Michigan 48109Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 764-1505
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.03 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.4 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- St Joseph Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.67 miles away5301 E Huron River Dr Ann Arbor Michigan 48106Voluntary non-profit - Church(734) 712-3456
- Forest Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.5 miles away135 S Prospect St Ypsilanti Michigan 48198Government - Hospital District or Authority(734) 547-4700
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 16.4 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Saint Joseph Mercy Livingston HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.32 miles away620 Byron Rd Howell Michigan 48843Voluntary non-profit - Other(517) 545-6000
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.11 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Bio Medical Applications of Michigan Inc6.04 miles away49641 Grand River Ave Wixom Michigan 48393Dialysis Stations: 13 (248) 924-3544
- Novi Dialysis Center of Davita6.57 miles away27150 Providence Pkwy Ste A Novi Michigan 48374CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (248) 449-6947
- Fmc Dialysis - Brighton7.02 miles away5757 Whitmore Lake Rd Ste 1600 Brighton Michigan 48116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (810) 229-6945
- Brighton Dialysis of Davita10.19 miles away7960 Grand River Rd Ste 210 Brighton Michigan 48114Dialysis Stations: 13 (810) 225-6288
- Univ of Mi Dialysis - Pediatric10.69 miles away1540 E Hospital Dr Rm 10-712 Mott Hospital Ann Arbor Michigan 48109Dialysis Stations: 10 (734) 232-5461
- Ghs Western Regional Home Dialysis10.89 miles away39525 W 14 Mile Rd Ste 200 Novi Michigan 48377Dialysis Stations: 3 (248) 668-4180
- Univ of Mi Dialysis Clinics - Livonia11.05 miles away19900 Haggerty Rd Ste 106 Livonia Michigan 48152CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (734) 432-7870
- Michigan Dialysis Services, LLC11.49 miles away275 N Canton Center Rd Canton Michigan 48187Dialysis Stations: 13 (734) 844-0108