South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is one of five nursing homes located in Quincy, Massachusetts. This facility received an A- overall, which is among the top grades that we offer. A grade in this range requires first-rate scores across the board. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the country. If you scroll down, you will see this facility's category scores, which are also impressive.
South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
288 Washington Street,
Quincy MA 02169
92.34% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in nursing. We gave it an A- for that category. In computing our nursing scores, we weigh both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home averages 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Turning to our inspection category, this nursing home excelled in that area, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. We awarded it an A- for that category. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its high-end assessment, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent long-term care grade, with a score of A-. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.95178 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category we scored, this nursing home was given an impressive grade grade of B+ in our short-term care category. With this grade, the facility finished off a very favorable profile. Our short-term care scores are thought to be more meaningful for those needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. This place fared as well as just about any facility in the country in this area with 56.3 percent of its residents returning home. Most facilities are below 50 percent in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.96% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.59% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In South Cove Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Quincy, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Quincy, Massachusetts has 4 other nursing homes
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.28 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.3 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 8.38 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.39 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility0.33 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Quality Care Dialysis Center2.68 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis3.56 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Us Renal Care Quincy3.95 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)4.31 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis4.95 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)6.55 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Davita Boston Dialysis7.34 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000