Shields Nursing Center is a small nursing home in El Cerrito, California. With an A overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top fifth of all facilities in the country. You simply can not do much better than this place. As you will see below, this place performed equally well in our category ratings. We gave it a straight A report card!
Shields Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ inspections in recent years. Its inspections were nearly flawless. Inspection ratings are tied to items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its impressive resume, this facility also excelled in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- in the area. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to judge a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Shields Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed was long-term care. Contributing to its high-end profile, this facility also excelled in this category. In fact, it received a of A- in the category. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the final category we looked at, this nursing home was awarded a very favorable grade of A- in our nursing category. With this grade, the facility topped off a straight A profile. Our nursing score consists of many data points, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving patients at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shields Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shields Nursing Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shields Nursing Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shields Nursing Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shields Nursing Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for treating several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shields Nursing Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shields Nursing Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shields Nursing Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shields Nursing Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shields Nursing Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to patients well-being.
In Shields Nursing Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shields Nursing Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shields Nursing Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shields Nursing Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 4.07 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 4.91 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.07 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.2 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.2 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.79 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.05 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center1.31 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590
- Davita Richmond Dialysis3.25 miles away4200 Macdonald Ave., Ste A Richmond California 94805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 236-8861
- Us Renal Care Berkeley3.46 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Berkeley Dialysis Center3.53 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Davita El Sobrante4.22 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Wellbound of Emeryville4.49 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- San Pablo Dialysis Center4.52 miles away14020 San Pablo Avenue San Pablo California 94806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (510) 234-0835
- Oakland Dialysis Center4.94 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104