With an address in Chula Vista, California, Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility is one of four nursing homes in this area. Sporting an overall score of A+, this facility is clearly a top-shelf nursing home. Indeed, this proved to be the best facility in the city. If you look below, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which appear to be just as strong as its overall rating.
Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ short-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 7.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. Our nursing rating is mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was long-term care. Adding to its first-rate profile, this facility also excelled in that category. In fact, we gave it a grade of of A in that category. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 98.88889 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not take any chances. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Wrapping up this nursing home's impressive profile, we gave this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. With this grade, the facility completes its straight A report card. Inspection grades are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many would argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sharp Chula Vista Med Center Senior Nursing Faciility, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Chula Vista, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Chula Vista, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 10.32 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.12 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.16 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.3 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 12.62 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- u.s. Renal Care Chula Vista Broadway Dialysis3.32 miles away1181 Broadway, Suite 5 Chula Vista California 91911CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (619) 585-0016
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-South3.4 miles away2060 Otay Lakes Road, Suite 120 Chula Vista California 91913Dialysis Stations: 4 (619) 422-0003
- u.s. Renal Care Chula Vista Home Dialysis3.43 miles away2082 Otay Lakes Road, Suite 101 Chula Vista California 91915Dialysis Stations: 3 (619) 482-8207
- u.s. Renal Care Chula Vista Dialysis3.5 miles away2084 Otay Lakes Rd Ste 101 Chula Vista California 91915Dialysis Stations: 15 (619) 397-0262
- Fmc-Balboa South Bay Home Therapies3.77 miles away340 4th Avenue, Suite 18 Chula Vista California 91910Dialysis Stations: 5 (619) 420-1798
- Fmc-San Ysidro Dialysis Center3.92 miles away3010 Del Sol Blvd. San Diego California 92154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 429-9690
- Fmc-Chula Vista Dialysis Center-South3.97 miles away2252 Verus Street, Suite D San Diego California 92154CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (619) 429-9201
- Davita-San Ysidro Dialysis4.04 miles away1445 30th Street, Suite a and B San Diego California 92154CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (619) 575-3901