Shannondale Health Care Center is on a list of 15 facilities in Knoxville, Tennessee. This nursing home turns out to be a grade A facility, which is a high-end grade. This is actually one of the highest rated nursing homes in Knoxville. Headlining this facility's exemplary profile is its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Shannondale Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We also would like to emphasize that this facility has received nearly flawless health inspections recently. We gave them an impressive grade of A in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. In computing our nursing ratings, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Shannondale Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received a high-end score of A in our long-term care category. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at was short-term care. In this category, we gave this nursing home an acceptable grade of B-. This proved to be this facility's worst area. Our short-term care grade is often used to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shannondale Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 3.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients who suffered falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 29.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 8.67% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 89.63% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 16.71% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 26.22% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 26.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 11.37 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shannondale Health Care Center, 72.9% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Knoxville, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Knoxville, Tennessee has 14 other nursing homes
- Parkwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.8 miles away9352 Park West Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 970-9800
- University of Tn Medical Center (The)Acute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away1924 Alcoa Highway Knoxville Tennessee 37920Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 544-9000
- East Tennessee Childrens HospitalChildrens 5.82 miles away2018 Clinch Ave Sw Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-8000
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away1901 W Clinch Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-1101
- Tennova Healthcare-North Knoxville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away7565 Dannaher Way Powell Powell Tennessee 37849Proprietary(865) 545-8000
- Methodist Medical Center of Oak RidgeAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away990 Oak Ridge Turnpike Box 529 Oak Ridge Tennessee 37830Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 835-1000
- Blount Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.58 miles away907 E Lamar Alexander Parkway Maryville Tennessee 37804Government - Local(865) 983-7211
- Fort Loudon Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.29 miles away550 Fort Loudon Medical Center Dr Lenoir City Tennessee 37772Voluntary non-profit - Other(865) 271-6000
- Knoxville Central Dialysis3.16 miles away9141 Cross Park Drive Suite 102 Knoxville Tennessee 37923Dialysis Stations: 8 (865) 531-4681
- Fmc Cedar Bluff3.47 miles away431 Park 40 North Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Dialysis Stations: 19 (865) 690-7517
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee5.39 miles away1826 Ailor Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921Dialysis Stations: 4 (865) 524-5308
- Fmc Dialysis Fort Sanders5.93 miles away1740 Western Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 523-1516
- Dci Knoxville7.17 miles away3734 Martin Mill Pike Knoxville Tennessee 37920CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (865) 573-3944
- Tannor Dialysis LLC8.01 miles away111 S Campbell Station Rd Knoxville Tennessee 37934Dialysis Stations: 13 (865) 777-2750
- Fmc West Knoxville8.13 miles away11305 Station West Knoxville Tennessee 37922Dialysis Stations: 13 (865) 966-5100
- Fmc Powell8.39 miles away732 E. Emory Rd Knoxville Tennessee 37938CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 947-1700