Senior Care of Westwood is located in Houston, Texas. This city is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country with has 2,906,700 people. This nursing home received an overall grade of D, which is a subpar score. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 56 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection rating. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Senior Care of Westwood
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
8702 S Course Dr,
Houston TX 77099
56.64% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a grade of B+ for our inspections category. This grade is much better than the facility's overall grade. Arguably the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that had a long list of severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's better category scores came in the category of long-term care. This ended up being its second best category. In that area, we gave this nursing home a C. Our long-term care ratings are more critical for those needing more traditional services related to activities of daily living. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 96.929825 percent of its patients. This place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Senior Care of Westwood?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. Our nursing category consists of many components, most of which are based on nursing hours. This facility provided just 3.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a low total compared to most other nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this subcategory. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning a patient at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is short-term care. This facility was given an abysmal grade of F in that category. In the area of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Given its grade in this category, we were not surprised to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the data we looked at. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 40.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics was damning for this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Senior Care of Westwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Senior Care of Westwood, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Senior Care of Westwood, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Senior Care of Westwood, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Senior Care of Westwood, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Senior Care of Westwood, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Senior Care of Westwood, 4.7% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Senior Care of Westwood, 95.06% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Senior Care of Westwood, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Senior Care of Westwood, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Senior Care of Westwood, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Senior Care of Westwood, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Senior Care of Westwood, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 55 other nursing homes
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Houston Methodist Sugarland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away16655 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 274-8000
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Texas Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away7401 South Main Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Other(713) 799-8600
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 9.77 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Houston Kidney Ctr Southwest0.21 miles away9980 West Sam Houston Pkwy South Suite 100 Houston Texas 77099CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 530-1905
- Dsi Chinatown Hemodialysis, LLC1.38 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S, Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 773-2124
- Dsi Chinatown Home, LLC1.38 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 4 (713) 773-2124
- Beechnut Dialysis1.42 miles away8325 Beechnut Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 772-5228
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.2.06 miles away8700 S Gessner Suite 300 Houston Texas 77074Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 988-1137
- Pharis Dialysis, LLC2.4 miles away8486 Bellaire Blvd. Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 774-0309
- Canoe Dialysis, LLC2.63 miles away5655 W Sam Houston Pkwy N Ste A Houston Texas 77041Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 983-8616
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Houston Dialysis Center3.18 miles away8303 Creek Bend Houston Texas 77071CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (713) 541-5541