Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare is a nursing home located in San Antonio, Texas which has a population of 1,585,405 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some solid scores. You could certainly do worse than this place. We were also pleased to discover that this nursing home received consistently decent grades in each of the other areas we looked at. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home really outperformed its overall grade in the category of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in this area with an A-. Our inspection scores are tied to many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to point out that this facility was awarded favorable long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's second strongest score. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 95.51282 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to minimize unnecessary deaths for the senior population. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Our short-term care grade is typically used to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Our final category is nursing, in which we gave this nursing home a grade of C in that category. When calculating our nursing ratings, we assess both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is well below average. Lastly, while this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that have pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents who have experienced UTI's. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients that were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 4.66% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 94.73% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Scc at Pecan Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 62 other nursing homes
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 5.87 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 5.91 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.91 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.21 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.01 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Southcross Dialysis Center1.11 miles away4602 E. Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 648-5988
- Bma Southeast San Antonio1.2 miles away4626 E Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (210) 648-2323
- Dsi Southeast San Antonio, LLC2.23 miles away2635 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 17 (210) 202-3022
- University Dialysis Southeast2.25 miles away1407 Fair Avenue San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 358-5780
- Kidney Treatment Center East3.14 miles away1608 South New Braunfels San Antonio Texas 78210Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 531-9693
- Southside Kidney Disease Clinic3.63 miles away1335 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 923-5475
- South San Antonio Dialysis Center3.69 miles away1313 Se Military Dr Suite 111 San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 932-2434
- Us Renal Care Houston Street Dialysis4.39 miles away2011 E. Houston, Suite 102d San Antonio Texas 78202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (210) 225-0004