Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center turns out to be one of several options at your disposal in Charlotte, North Carolina. With an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. Keep in mind that Charlotte received a city grade of B-, so should consider some other options in the city as well. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received terrible ratings in our analysis. Perhaps most alarmingly, it received an F for its inspection grade. Typically, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspections. With facilities that received this bad of an inspection grade, we would scrutinize the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular facility was hit with 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility received an F for its long-term care score. Nursing homes that do not fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated just 85.824745 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Another issue was the F this nursing home was given in the category of short-term care. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. With its grade in this category, we were not surprised to learn that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Frankly, this was what we expected to find. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
The next area we graded is nursing. Sadly, it received an abysmal F for this area, which is an abysmal score. Our nursing score considers many subcategories. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.36% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.92% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 88.16% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.43% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 26.81% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 26.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.94 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Charlotte, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Charlotte, North Carolina has 18 other nursing homes
- Atrium Health University CityAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away8800 North Tyron Street Charlotte North Carolina 28262Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 548-6000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 6.44 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Carolinas Healthcare System NortheastAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away920 Church St N Concord North Carolina 28025Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 783-3000
- Lake Norman Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.07 miles away171 Fairview Road Mooresville North Carolina 28117Proprietary(704) 660-4000
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.6 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Davita Sugar Creek0.91 miles away5100 Reagan Dr Suite 10 Charlotte North Carolina 28206Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 921-9823
- Fmc of North Charlotte2.37 miles away5220 N Tryon Street Charlotte North Carolina 28213CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (704) 596-0680
- North Charlotte2.66 miles away6620 Old Statesville Road Charlotte North Carolina 28269CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (704) 599-1355
- Dsi Glenwater Dialysis3.08 miles away9030 Glenwater Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28262CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (704) 503-6900
- Bma of Beatties Ford Inc4 miles away1534 North Hoskins Road Charlotte North Carolina 28216CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (704) 394-7335
- Fresenius Medical Care Aldersgate4.21 miles away3211 Bishops Way Ln Suite 2000 Charlotte North Carolina 28215Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 567-2045
- Bma East Charlotte4.95 miles away1334 Central Avenue Charlotte North Carolina 28205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 334-2226
- Presbyterian Hospital5.67 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Charlotte North Carolina 28204Dialysis Stations: 13 (704) 384-4034