Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center turns out to be one of several options at your disposal in Charlotte, North Carolina. With an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. Keep in mind that Charlotte received a city grade of B-, so should consider some other options in the city as well. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1930 West Sugar Creek Road,
Charlotte NC 28262
86.91% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom scores in our assessment. Perhaps most alarmingly, it received an F for its long-term care grade. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinates 96.438354 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place also keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
This nursing home earned really poor inspection reports in recent years, causing us to give them an F for inspections. An F in this category is usually a signal that we found some red flags on its inspection reports. You should pay special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We would scrutinize the severity of those deficiencies. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Does this page answer your questions about Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. Our nursing grade is based on several datapoints, however, the main one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel grade in this area as well. It received an abysmal F in this area, which is obviously a major concern. In determining our short-term care grades, we assess a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is typically a reliable assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this place offers significantly less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical nursing home. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.14% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.12% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.84% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 88.29% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.92% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.81% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.78 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Saturn Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.13% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Charlotte, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Charlotte, North Carolina has 9 other nursing homes
- Atrium Health University CityAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away8800 North Tyron Street Charlotte North Carolina 28262Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 548-6000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 6.44 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Carolinas Healthcare System NortheastAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away920 Church St N Concord North Carolina 28025Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 783-3000
- Lake Norman Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.07 miles away171 Fairview Road Mooresville North Carolina 28117Proprietary(704) 660-4000
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.6 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Davita Sugar Creek0.91 miles away5100 Reagan Dr Suite 10 Charlotte North Carolina 28206Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 921-9823
- Fmc of North Charlotte2.37 miles away5220 N Tryon Street Charlotte North Carolina 28213CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (704) 596-0680
- North Charlotte2.66 miles away6620 Old Statesville Road Charlotte North Carolina 28269CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (704) 599-1355
- Dsi Glenwater Dialysis3.08 miles away9030 Glenwater Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28262CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (704) 503-6900
- Bma of Beatties Ford Inc4 miles away1534 North Hoskins Road Charlotte North Carolina 28216CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (704) 394-7335
- Fresenius Medical Care Aldersgate4.21 miles away3211 Bishops Way Ln Suite 2000 Charlotte North Carolina 28215Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 567-2045
- Bma East Charlotte4.95 miles away1334 Central Avenue Charlotte North Carolina 28205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 334-2226
- Presbyterian Hospital5.67 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Charlotte North Carolina 28204Dialysis Stations: 13 (704) 384-4034